Are Cadillac Norhtstar engines any good?

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Cadillac questions now.
glennpalmore

Are Cadillac Norhtstar engines any good?

Unread post by glennpalmore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm

are cadillac northstar engines junk or are they reliable, in general? i'm looking at a cadillac deville concours with the v-8 and 56,000 miles. i've heard both good and bad about the northstar engine and i just want to know if it is safe to buy a cadillac with that engine.

protech

Re: cadillac engines

Unread post by protech » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm

The Northstar V8 engine is a great engine if it's been maintained properly over the years. The biggest complaint is that most of them end up being major oil leakers, which is true. The entire engine needs to be re-sealed when it gets really bad, and that is VERY expensive. But if it's been taken care of and not beaten on much, it will last a long time. Parts are still available for them, so it just ends up being your personal taste and if you think you're getting a good deal.

Dominicrog

Re: cadillac engines

Unread post by Dominicrog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

LOL LOL LOL

lwh1959

Re: Are Cadillac Norhtstar engines any good?

Unread post by lwh1959 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

The Cadillac Northstar engine is one of the best engines around!! The Northstar has had problems in the past with overheating issues, but it was due to the aluminum radiator they utilize. They are known for cracking, and leaking. There are also issues with coolant leaks elsewhere. The engine itself is awesome. Did I say it will haul a.. ? :D

lwh1959

Re: Are Cadillac Norhtstar engines any good?

Unread post by lwh1959 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:55 pm

The Northstar engine, as with any engine has to be taken care of. It is an excellent engine, the majority of problems associated with the engine are normal for any car and or truck. I have a 1998 DeElegance that I have had no trouble AT ALL with except a coolant leak. I don't know what year model, or how many miles are on the car in question but as a general, they are reliable and dependable engines.