2004 Oldsmobile alero 3.4 automatic

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.

2004 Oldsmobile alero 3.4 automatic

Unread post by GUEST » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:08 pm

My checked engine light is on when I start my car or idle low. The rpm goes up and down until I drive it doesn't do it all the time but it gets worse. I took it to part store computer that aid something didn't give specifics and said maybe oxygen sensor or vacuun line fuel filter. Sometimes when it's less than a qt. tank of gas it would sputter up a hill. Like it was out of gas but didn't die. Almost did. When it has half tank its fine. But now it's just the idle goes real low almost dies but doesn't. RPM goes up and down to when put it in drive and go and it dies.

carriedi

Re: 2004 Oldsmobile alero 3.4 automatic

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:12 pm

what did the parts store do? did they scan the vehicle. Is the check engine light on while you are driving? It may come on when you turn your key to ACC but once the engine starts the light should go out unless there are codes stored in the PCM. The parts store might scan it for you. Or take it to a shop and have it scanned. Just putting parts in because of a "maybe" is going to get expensive. Even if you have a code that says the engine is running lean or rich (associated with oxygen sensors) it could be that the oxygen sensors are reading perfectly and your engine is really running lean or rich. The code that is stored is a beginning point, not the answer (usually). you read the code. you look at what the code is pointing to and look at the parameters that can affect the code. (diagnostics) I can remember when fords would get a p0171 code and shops were replacing O2 sensors like crazy but the problem was a dirty MAF sensor. So, you have to look at what causes the code. What the code is. What the code is affected by.