Silhouette won't crank

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
prorig

Silhouette won't crank

Unread post by prorig » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:33 pm

I have a 1998 silhouette I was driving down the highway and my van shut off radio and all instrument lights were still working put it in neutral and it started again it ran for about 30 seconds more then it died completely and was not able to restart. I quickly glanced at the the instrument panel and notice that battery light was on just at it died. Now everything works all the lights radio so I know I have power towed it home and did a complete check on it recharged the battery this is a brand new battery only about 3 months old I can hear the fuel pump engage as the ignition key is turned on but starter will not turn over and there is power going to the starter I have checked the fusible links are working also I have checked all the fuses and relays and they are in working order. The ignition switch does work I replaced this not too long ago. I am wondering if :?: the PCM went out since my I leveler was not reading and my fuel pump is new and the ignition is tied to my PCM some how. Any ideas anyone.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Silhouette won't crank

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 am

You say there is power to the starter. Is that the large red cable from the battery, or the purple wire for the solenoid?
The purple wire should only have power when trying to crank. If it does, the the starter starter should crank- if it does not crank, the starter is bad, but this does not explain the fact that it died out.
Be sure the battery cables are tight, and the lugs in the battery are not about to twist out. Loose cables or lug problem are a common problem on this van.
You may have a lose connection somewhere. Wiggle all the engine harnesses while trying to crank. Especially at the fuse block under the hood.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

prorig

Unread post by prorig » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 am

Sorry I haven't got back sooner it is very hard to work on a car outside when the temp is below 15 degrees and the wind is gusting 20 miles and hour and more and my car blows a power steering hose than I run my car into the ditch on the way home from work when I hit black ice on the road when the wind gust caught it and spun me around on the ice and all I could do is go along for the ride now I was down to having no transportation boy could I have used my van, Now my friend had a great Idea he would pull me out since he had a four wheel drive Ok I said until he himself pulled over across the street from my car into a snow drift that just kept pulling him in great now we were both stuck.

Now that it is warmer I have did go back and recheck my electrical and it all looks good fuses, wires , starter , ignition switch all check out good now I did put my continuity tester on the purple wire on the starter while some one hit the ignition switch and the light did go on and off telling me that the ignition switch is working there was power there but I did not get a sound from my starter I am wondering if it not starting has anything to do with my security system since I did change the ignition switch which did work the first time I tried it now something new that my van is doing when I open the drivers door the alarm goes off like I have just left the keys in it or the lights on. So today I will check the alarm system if only my van could talk.
Thanks for your suggestions

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 pm

If you have power at the purple wire at the stater, and the starter wont turn, then the starter is bad. As long as the battery is good and has enough charge to turn the starter. Make sure the battery cables are tight, and that the lugs in the battery to not twist out when trying to tighten the cables.

This would have nothing to do with the security.

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:28 am

Did you ever get this problem figured out ProRig?

prorig

Unread post by prorig » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:13 pm

All taken care there were two problems one the gas tank was empty did not check cause my wife had told me it was full so it seemed odd that it turned over for a short while but would not start so thinking that the gas tank was full I thought it was the battery well to make a long story short this threw me off and I tapped the gas tank with my hand and I could hear a echo then I took the starter off because the battery was new it could not be it and the starter was fried replaced starter and put gas in the tank and it started. Thanks for the info. .

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:15 pm

prorig wrote:All taken care there were two problems one the gas tank was empty did not check cause my wife had told me it was full so it seemed odd that it turned over for a short while but would not start so thinking that the gas tank was full I thought it was the battery well to make a long story short this threw me off and I tapped the gas tank with my hand and I could hear a echo then I took the starter off because the battery was new it could not be it and the starter was fried replaced starter and put gas in the tank and it started. Thanks for the info. .
Glad to hear you got this taken care of !