'99 Olds 88 lowbeams

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Ecald02

'99 Olds 88 lowbeams

Unread post by Ecald02 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile 88, and the low beams aren't working. hi-beams and tail lights work. One low-beam went out, and when they went to change the bulbs, the second one also went out.
I checked the car manual and it says there is no fuse for the headlights, so I have no idea what to do.

carriedi

Re: '99 Olds 88 lowbeams

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:38 am

so, did you verify that they have power and ground at the connector?

both low beams run from one low beam circuit. they don't have different power supplies. They should both have power or there is a break in the wiring if one is on and the other is not.

you do have a headlamp relay in the dash fuse block and the power for the lights comes from the headlight circuit breaker on the under hood fuse block.

the way it works is the headlight switch sends a signal to the light module that is in the center of the dash. It send a signal to the headlight relay. the relay sends the signal to the low/high beam dimmer switch.and then it goes to the headlight bulbs.

have someone turn the low beams on and off and see if the low beam relay is clicking. The relay should have numbered contacts if you look at it from the bottom. (relay removed from the fuse block and looking at the bottom where the terminals stick out from. make sure you have battery voltage and the hole where pin 30 goes into. That is the power from the circuit breaker and is power for the headlight bulbs. When the relay works normally, it takes the power from terminal 30 and sends it out on terminal 87. 87 it the terminal that goes to the high/low dimmer switch.

do you know how to go through and check the whole circuit? (and have the tools to follow powers and grounds to see what you are missing at the headlight sockets?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Unread post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 am

Thank you for your response. I don't know how to do what youbdescribed, but I will pass this information on to my mechanic and hopefully it will help him figure it out.
I'm also having a problem with my malfunction switch (it's not letting me click the brights on, and seems loose). I'm having that repaired as well.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 am

the headlight dimmer switch (high / low beam switch) is on the steering column and is adjustable. After time the bolts may come loose and the dimmer switch moves away from the handle. Loosen the two bolts that hold the dimmer switch and move it towards the handle until you can make it click between the low and high beam and tighten the bolts back up. Don't over tighten and strip them out though.

see the two long slots where the bolts go through. that's the adjustment part.
Attachments
dimmer.jpg
dimmer.jpg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.