1990 88 Royale wont start when hot

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
FUDFUH

1990 88 Royale wont start when hot

Unread post by FUDFUH » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:15 pm

I have a 90' Olds 88 (3800 Series 1) with 60,000 miles. When the car is driven for 30-40 minutes and you turn it off like you would do to stop and get gas the car will not restart. I have to wait 2 hours for it to fully cool down before it will start up again.

I have replaced the fuel pump, sending unit, ICM, EGR, MAF, Idle controler, fuel regulator, alternator and crank position sensor. What would cause this to happen? It makes no sense to me so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

carriedi

Re: 1990 88 Royale wont start when hot

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

wow, you've spent a lot of money on parts.

you're have to check what's happening when it won't start. do you have spark when it won't start? Do you have injector pulse? You should have fuel pressure with all the parts you've replaced but check it anyways. See if the fuel pump is coming to prime the system and then run while cranking. That's what you need to do before you replace any parts. Once you see what you have and don't have then you start narrowing down what you need to check next.

what does your coolant temperature sensor read? if it reads -40F (when there is no CTS signal) it will start when the engine is cold but once the engine warms up a -40F reading will cause the computer to flood the warm engine with fuel. Holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking will tell the computer to clearflood the engine and turn off the fuel injectors. If the engine is being flooded this will cut off the fuel and allow the engine to clear out the fuel and it may start up then.

Having as scanner available when the engine won't start would help you out a lot because you can see what the computer sees and maybe why it's not starting. O2 sensor, fuel trims, CTS, cam and crk sensor readings, MAF and or MAP readings.....

I have a sign in my shop that says I'm a pretty good guesser but if I don't have all the information I will probably guess wrong. The more information that you can find out, the less parts you will have to replace that don't fix your problem. Start with the basics. spark, injector pulse and fuel supply.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.