computer problem with 1999 olds 88 - clicking sound

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Post Reply New Topic
Gem777

computer problem with 1999 olds 88 - clicking sound

Unread post by Gem777 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:30 pm

The car won't start, battery, alternator, starter are all fine. Obviously a computer issue, but I am trying to isolate what started it and what will fix it before I sink a whole bunch of money into it.

Over the past six months, there are many times when the car will not respond at all to starting it, and then after a few minutes will start up. A few have mentioned changing the ignition switch because the wires are prone to break or wear down and lose connection. They said this could cause the problem I am having. Does anyone agree and think that this could ultimately have affected the entire computer system. Now the care won't start at all and I am getting a clicking seemingly coming from right behind the glove compartment.

TerryAuto

Re: computer problem with 1999 olds 88 - clicking sound

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm

A clicking is usually caused by low voltage to a relay. They do not like to function with a low voltage condition. I would first try to locate the clicking relay. Under the dash is a panel help in with 2 or 3 7mm screws. Drop that panel, get eh clicking to happen, and feel for the culprit relay and replace it or swap it with another one in that relay center. Put a little silicone grease on the relay blades.
Let me know what happens.

Post Reply New Topic