1996 Oldsmobile Ciera 3.1 lt, stalls/fails to start

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
pyropup55

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera 3.1 lt, stalls/fails to start

Unread post by pyropup55 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 pm

I have a 96 Olds Ciera, with the 3.1 lt V6. Today while sitting in line for lunch, the car started to make a sigh/cough noise, when trying to accelerate out of the line, the car bogged down, as if it wasn't getting fuel. This has happened before and if I let the car sit for a few minutes, it will crank back up and drive without issue. This time, after letting the car sit for about a half hour, it still wouldn't start. I left the car, came back after work, it started right up without any problem. I was able to drive for maybe a half a mile before the car shut off completely. The car turns over like it wants to start, but won't.
I've checked for spark, all coils are getting spark, you can smell the fuel being dumped but not burned off. I can almost guarantee that when I go out in the morning the car will start. My question is, what could be causing the stalling and failure to restart. I've been told two possible issues, one, the EGR valve blocked. Secondly an issue with the ignition coil mount. I do have a check engine light on, but it was referring to a system purge during non-purge something another.

Thank you!

carriedi

Re: 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera 3.1 lt, stalls/fails to start

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm

you should check your fuel pressure regulator for leaking fuel into the vacuum line that plugs onto it. Of it could be a coolant temp sensor reading too cold. either one can flood your engine when warm.

you could also have a fuel pump that is going bad. starving your engine for fuel.

with a scanner you could look at your fuel trims and see if your engine is getting too much fuel or not enough fuel when it runs bad or won't start. You could also have more than one problem.

If you have a code for a purge problem it is possible that the purge system could suck fuel or fuel vapors from the tank.

a lot of things for you to check out
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

pyropup55

Unread post by pyropup55 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, looks like I have my work cut out for me.

jly

Unread post by jly » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:03 pm

hi, were you able to fix the starting problem? What was it. I have similar problem. thanks