1998 Oldsmobile Aurora Trouble with trouble codes

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
wildman

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora Trouble with trouble codes

Unread post by wildman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:16 pm

It's the 1998 Olds Aurora again- the crank sensors have been changed (thanks) and now I have started into what I'm sure will develop into a sensor changing frenzy. I have the pc based reader and the live readout shows that my O2 sensor on bank 2 is faulty- but it doesn't read a code for it. I will be changing it, but am concerned about these codes that are displaying.

P1350 ( Ignition Control System ) and
P1375 ( IC 24X Reference Circuit High Voltage )
which both are the IC module. I assume that is what most would consider the ignition coil pack, am I correct? I am familiar with "phantom" codes and am hoping this is one of those since I know the O2 fault- or is there a way to test the coil packs one at a time (because I'm fairly sure it's composed of sets of 2)

I'm sure it's nothing you haven't run into yet- and thanks in advance for your help and time. I even reset the codes but they show immediately when the vehicle is started. It runs great but has been slow starting at times with minor engine rpm revving while in park
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

willwildy

Re: Trouble with trouble codes

Unread post by willwildy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:54 am

I am not exactly sure if the connectors are uniquely keyed on the o2 sensors but before I went and bought one I would swap the leads and see if the code changes to the other bank or not. might save you some money.
Click here to make a SMALL DONATION to HELP KEEP US FREE

wildman

Unread post by wildman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 am

The o2 sensor isn't much money in the scheme of things- I see it as making up the money in fuel economy. What worries me is if the codes it is showing for the ignition control could be a phantom code- of if I need to change more while I have it apart. Or, worst case scenario, if I do need to change part of the coil pack if there is a way to check and only change the portion that's in error.

But I may be wrong about it even being the pack that the error is pointing to. I have more tinker-time with the older vehicles to be completely honest. I'm on a new learning curve since my paper-clip has been retired lol
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:23 am

wildman wrote:It's the 1998 Olds Aurora again- the crank sensors have been changed (thanks) and now I have started into what I'm sure will develop into a sensor changing frenzy. I have the pc based reader and the live readout shows that my O2 sensor on bank 2 is faulty- but it doesn't read a code for it. I will be changing it, but am concerned about these codes that are displaying.

P1350 ( Ignition Control System ) and
P1375 ( IC 24X Reference Circuit High Voltage )
which both are the IC module. I assume that is what most would consider the ignition coil pack, am I correct? I am familiar with "phantom" codes and am hoping this is one of those since I know the O2 fault- or is there a way to test the coil packs one at a time (because I'm fairly sure it's composed of sets of 2)

I'm sure it's nothing you haven't run into yet- and thanks in advance for your help and time. I even reset the codes but they show immediately when the vehicle is started. It runs great but has been slow starting at times with minor engine rpm revving while in park
The IC- Ignition control module is under the 4 ignition coils. 2 plug wires for each coil. The module is what the 4 coils bolt to. Removing all coils allows replacement of module. The module controls the coils.
These codes would point to a bad igntion module, but on a few occations have had a wiring problem. From under the car, the engine harness from on top goes down along the trans and between the exhaust manifold and the engine block as it goes to the crank sensors. Have seen a few where the harness comes out of the clip and contacts the exhaust manifold. This causes the harness to burn and a few wires melt and short out on the exhaust causing these codes. Would check this first as the IC module is approx. $500 GM part.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

parlain444

Re: 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora Trouble with trouble codes

Unread post by parlain444 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I have the same codes and my engine rpm also go up sometimes randomly while in park now the car won't start at all.