Oldsmobile Ciera starts But stalls

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Geary

Oldsmobile Ciera starts But stalls

Unread post by Geary » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:37 pm

I've inherited this car along with inheriting some electrical nightmares. The latest set happened yesterday. I lost the interior floor lights, horn, radio and it's lights (cassette still works though ...weird), unlock door switches, mirror control....ALL at the same time sometime yesterday while on a 350 mile trip. I've checked and even replaced fuses that weren't broken (none were) but, to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks ahead. ~Gear

carriedi

Re: 96 Olds Ciera Cluster of Some Sort Bad

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:44 pm

so did this happen and is still like that or did this happen and then go away? It will be hard to find an intermittent problem like this but if it stays out the you can trace circuits to see if you have lost power or ground.

start with horn. CTSY fuse 20A in the fuse block should be hot at all times. power goes from the fuse through an orange wire to the horn relay. Pull the relay out (in the convenience center) and check the connections in the convenience center. there should be three prong connections. One hot, from the fuse. One ground, to the horn and one open, to the horn button when the horn is not on. When you push the horn button it should go to ground. Find out which of these three things you don't have and maybe that will lead you to see if the other things are connected.

Basic electrical testing how-to
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Geary

Unread post by Geary » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks. I will try your approach. Yes EVERYTHING I mentioned went out and have stayed out...not intermittent at all. The mechanic I took it to today estimated a 500 dollar bill to replace a "computer module"..." since all those things went out at once".

Geary

Unread post by Geary » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:09 am

What does one of these mysterious computerized modules cost anyway?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 am

ok, you should have your car checked out by another shop. you should look at a common power supply or ground before you even think of a computer module. mainly because these systems are not all related. and I don't show a BCM for that year. That's why I said to check the horn circuit first. It should be an independent circuit. Check it for power and proper grounds. If it checks out go to interior light circuit. You may have a problem with power through the fuse panel too.

skatepunkVII

1990 Olds Cutlass Ciera starts but stalls instantly help plz

Unread post by skatepunkVII » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

So the car will start run for maybe 4 secs and stall immediately. It will remain running if i give it gas and open the throttle up. Was told a few things fuel filter, fuel pump, possible injector. I just replaced the fuel filter and i just want to get a definite as to what i should get/do next so if any suggestion please do not hesitate.

carriedi

Re: 1990 Olds Cutlass Ciera starts but stalls instantly help

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:51 am

if it will stay running if you keep the open the throttle I would think it's more the idle circuit that fuel pressure. Checking fuel pressure wouldn't hurt though. What motor do you have in your car. 2.5 or 3.3

skatepunkVII

Unread post by skatepunkVII » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 pm

its the 3.3 so check the fuel pressure, then work to maybe mass air?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 am

you should hook up a scanner and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary. The scanner can see what your MAF is reading. you could also see what your injector pulse is doing. Your 3.3L could have a shorted injector that will ground the fuel injector circuit and shut off all the injectors as soon as you try to start up too. unplug one injector on each side and see if you have injector pulse with a test light. run the test light between the two terminals in the injector harness connector and it should flash to show the injector circuit is pulsing.

If you do a pressure test, put your gauge on the fuel test port and cycle the key. (turn the key on to the acc position. when the dash lights up) don't go the the start position. Check the fuel pressure. It should jump up to 41 - 47 psi. and stay close to that. Running it will be a little lower.It should jump up to full pressure in the 2 second prime when you turn the key to the run position. If it goes up but not all the way, cycle the key a few times and see if it will build up pressure.