1999 Olds Cutlass temp gauge runs hot

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Crawdaddy74

1999 Olds Cutlass temp gauge runs hot

Unread post by Crawdaddy74 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 pm

I have a 1999 olds cutlass 3.1L, the temp gauge has a few times shot up past where it normally runs but then it dumps back down to where it normally goes and runs just fine. The other day it kept going up and no heat was coming out of the vents at all. The gauge kept climbing up to 260 where the light kicked on, new symptom never seen before. I got it home when I was almost home it killed then started back up and ran just fine. Want to know if its the thermostat or something worse.

carriedi

Re: 1999 Olds Cutlass temp gauge runs hot

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 am

you need to check your coolant in the radiator. overheat but no heat out of the heater in the car is a sign of low coolant. fill with coolant and then run the engine and get it up to normal temp. Make sure you have the heater on high and see how the temp for your heater works. Your coolant should be around 200 degrees F and the heater should feel hot from the vent. Let if cool overnight and recheck the coolant level cold.

then see if everything runs normally. You should have the cooling system pressure tested for leaks.

could be other things but that's stuff you can do yourself first
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.