Oldsmobile Aurora no heat or a/c problem

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
painter360

Oldsmobile Aurora no heat or a/c problem

Unread post by painter360 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 pm

1999 Olds Aurora, recharged the a/c system this summer, only get tepid air, seemed to be cooler
in the defrost cycle, but not much. Maybe cooler on passenger side? Now that I need heat, I
have a similar problem in that the air is just lukewarm at best and never varies in temp.
Temp gauge reads normal, car runs fine, replaced thermostat and coolant to be safe.
Thanks.

carriedi

Re: Oldsmobile Aurora no heat or a/c problem

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 pm

if the ac compressor was working and cycling normally and you didn't get good cooling and the heater system is full and functioning normally you may have a problem with the blend door circuit. That door controls the temperature. You might want to have you car scanned for hvac codes. I have seen the door motors go out and also the control going bad. With a tech2 scanner and a meter you can watch the signals and see whether the signals are bad or the motors are bad. If it looks like the motor isn't working you should take off the motor and see if you can move the door by hand to make sure it's not broken or has something blocking it.

it's a little complicated so you may need to have a shop look at it.

Run the car and let the engine temperature get up to normal/temp. about 190-210. check the temperature of the two heater hoses going into the firewall for the heater core. are they both hot? or is one hot and the other much cooler. if there is a big temp difference the heater core is probably plugged up. If both hoses are hot it's most likely the blend door operation.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

painter360

Unread post by painter360 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 am

Thank you for you help. Checked the heater hoses and both are hot. I cranked the heat in the
cabin to 90 and that's when I noticed that I get heat on the passenger side on all the different
vents but just tepid air on drivers side.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:02 pm

check the motor for driver side
Attachments
oldsmobile-aurora-temp-dash-motor-actuator-location.jpg
oldsmobile-aurora-temp-dash-motor-actuator-location.jpg (59.74 KiB) Viewed 7521 times

painter360

Unread post by painter360 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 am

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Finally was able to replace the actuator fore the drivers side blend door. I have toasty toes again, just in time for the winter. Thanks again for your help.
Ron

beiland

Unread post by beiland » Thu May 08, 2014 3:16 pm

carriedi wrote:check the motor for driver side
That pic of the control box that you posted, would it be the sae for a 2001 Aurora?? And what side of the box are we looking at??

I have a 2001 that seems to be stuck putting out heat on the passenger side, regardless of what I have the temp set at,....even when I have the AC on for the car, I get HEAT on passenger side? How do I solve this?

I believe I was told some sort of 'electronic board' might need replacing??

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 am

the picture is as if you are on the seat and looking at the dash. If the dash wasn't there, that's what you would see

beiland

Unread post by beiland » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 am

So if the heat or AC is not working properly on one side or the other, then you are likely to have to replace that side's actuator?

Do these 'actuators' possess some sort of electronic circuitry that goes bad? I did a preliminary check and seems these actuators are grossly overpriced for what they are,....would you say that??

Is a new one going to be as temperamental and subject to failure?

Where might one look to find the best price for one of these actuators?

Are these actuators 'programmable',....reprogrammable ? I ask this as I had a gentleman who owned some repair facility tell me this might be possible??

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm

yes, if your ac is working normally on one side and not on the other, the blend door for the side that's not working correctly is probably not working. However, if both side aren't working correctly there could be another problem.

The price may seem a little expensive considering the just replace a steel cable that toe old cars used to use... But they do have a bunch of electronics in that little gadget. There is an electric motor that responds to the heater control module. It has to know where the stops are at, at each end of travel. It has to respond to the controller to know where to stop if you move it just a little bit more or less. To do that it has to get a signal from the control unit and then send a signal back so the control unit says "good, stop there".

As far as temperamental,... 2001 makes your car about 13 years old. How many problems have they been over the 13 years?

you should shop around for prices. You could even shop online for many parts now days. Just remember that you are not just buying a part. You are buying a warranty. Many places don't give any warranty on electronic parts. So try to buy your parts where they will stand behind their parts. You could also check a wrecking yard for parts. But ask them about replacements if the part doesn't work.

BTW, you should make sure that the actuators are not working and the problem isn't the HVAC controller not sending out the signal. (but most of the time it's the actuator. Just remember though the controller can go out too)