Alero 2002 won't start

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Sly2207

Alero 2002 won't start

Unread post by Sly2207 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

I have an alero 2002. The car worked perfectly until one night I went out to turn the car around due to an upcoming storm. I found it odd cause it took me 3 try to start the car, usually it start on the first turn. The next morning the car wouldn't start. I have check the fuel pump wich seem to be fine cause I got good pressure, I have spark at the plugs. I have change the coil plate above the plugs, I have change the computer behind the glove box and I have change the ignition switch. I have reset the entire thing about 5 times and I can't get rid of the security light and the car won't start. Anybody got any ideas?

ProTech

Re: Alero 2002 won't start

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:32 pm

If you've got a security light staying on, then you probably have an issue with the ignition cylinder, NOT the ignition switch. The Passlock sensor, which is for the theft deterrent system is part of the cylinder housing. If you've just replaced the switch, that doesn't do any good. You might want to get the car scanned for codes, especially Body Control Module codes because that's where any security problems would be stored.

If you do need to replace the ignition cylinder, you will need to do a re-learn procedure to reset the security system.
Oldsmobile Alero Theft Relearn Procedure

Sly2207

Unread post by Sly2207 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you for your tips, I taught the ignition cylinder was in the switch. Is the ignition cylinder in the steering column?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:28 pm

No, the cylinder is inside the switch, but they are replaceable separately. You need to replace the ignition cylinder and housing (which come as one unit), and then do a theft relearn.

And just so we're sure.....the IGNITION SWITCH is the large black plastic piece with two large connectors that the aluminum IGNITION CYLINDER slides into. You said you replaced the switch, which has nothing to do with the security system.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Sly2207

Unread post by Sly2207 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Ok, tank you for your help. I'll do that and let you know how it turns out.

Sly2207

Unread post by Sly2207 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I got rid of the security light but still no go, I'm about to put an axe in it lol. It's still turning fine and seems to want to go at some point! I put the OBD2 car reader to it and I'm not getting any error code but I have a steady yellow light on and I have the C, O, OH, EV monitor icons flashing

eeyore

Unread post by eeyore » Sat May 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and I had the same problem with it not starting. Come to find out it has what is called Passlock on it. This has to do with the security system. Try this when it will not start, Turn the key to the on position leave it for about 10 minutes or until the security light stops blinking. Turn back to off position then start the car without pumping the gas. My car started like a charm. Give this a try before putting out a lot of money on things not needed.