3.1 Cylinder Head placement on head gasket change

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
96Oldsrunner

3.1 Cylinder Head placement on head gasket change

Unread post by 96Oldsrunner » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:46 pm

the question - (see car model details below)
Part 1 - after the tear down and gasket replacement, (head gasket, lower intake) is there special way to align a cylinder head to the engine? Can the head shift in the installation process from where it was previously? Like up to a 1/4 inch? Part II - with steel pressed long hole hydrolic rocker arms, is screwing down the nut until it stops on the bolt acceptable or do i have to do one of those engine running valve covers off adjustment routines with the nut backed off? putting on the alternator bracket it seems the rear cylinder head shifted towards the alternator about 1/4 inch. if that's the case, i can see the front possibly being different than what i've been driving it at. going by ciera cruiser (sedan) manual 87-93 and not finding anything else around has been like operating with one foot tied behind my ear and one hand glued to the rear bumper. thanks for any response

the car -
96 olds ciera cruiser wagon 3100 sfi with more miles than should be allowed ... not just one or two, and not three, but four.. and 70 more to go to get back from the moon..

has 1 engine lifting bracket in front passenger side only, not two like buick centry and others..
could not access front cylinder head bolt #7 until AC/Engine lifting bracket was removed
(nightmare).

Karl

Re: 3.1 Cylinder Head placement on head gasket change

Unread post by Karl » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

OK. Alot to go over here...

Yes, the cylinder head can be misaligned. That is, if the alignment spacers were not re-insalled on the engine block. There are two. On one each lower corner head bolt hole. Many time while removing the head, these fall down off the back of the engine, and if you were not aware they were there, you would not notice it. Look under the car, you may find them or they are caught up on the frame or steering rack.

No sequence to install the rockers like an old 350 V8. Just torque them down. Be sure to put the pushrods in the correct place. The intake and exhaust are different lenghts !
3100 and 3400 pushrod location and rocker arm torque specs.

Engine should have 2 lift brakets. Maybe engine was apart some time in it's life.

96Oldsrunner

Unread post by 96Oldsrunner » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:32 pm

This was why I was confused by the apparent shift of the alternator bracket.
Both front and back were aligned with the spacers. I am also the second owner,
with by far the most miles on the vehicle, and the most maintenance done. The
first owner didn't change the coolant and it was getting acidic by the time I bought
the car, which is apparently why the gaskets failed. Both sides of the head gaskets
looked like they'd been through a compost pile. The intake gaskets looked less
chewed up overall, but were clearly compromised near the corners. The seal
especially failed along the sealant seam on the bottom of the lower intake manifold.
IF the alignment of the cylinder heads was properly kept with the spacers, which
were used, did I lose something like spacers attached to the alternator bracket,
like washers? (None seen underneath car or sensed dropping as it was removed.)
If I shim it out so the bracket fits properly, two washers are used between bracket
and cylinder head. Not certain if the serpentine belt would be misaligned, but
also more concerned with the camshaft properly being aligned with the rollers
on the lifters.

Karl

Unread post by Karl » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 pm

If the head has the alignment spacers then the head is centered, so it is just an alternator bracket problem and would have nothing to do with the cam.
Can you upload a picture of your poroblem. I'm trying to picture the problem you are having in my mind, but not sure i get it. Bottom of head should be flush with deck of block since you used the alignment spacers.

There are no small washers between alt bracket and head.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery