99 olds alero cylinder location

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
jgarza

99 olds alero cylinder location

Unread post by jgarza » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 am

could anyone please tell me where cylinder 1 is located on a 3400 6 cylinder GM engine . i am replacing fuel injector and guy at advanced auto told me it is closest to passenger if you are looking from front of car. but the engine has numbers 1-6 casted on block. thus indicating cylinder 1 is actually closest to front left headlight if you are standing in front of car. im a a little confused. thank you

ProTech

Re: 99 olds alero cylinder location

Unread post by ProTech » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:37 pm

The number 1 cylinder is on the back bank of cylinders and located closest to the passenger side. Pretty much the hardest one to get at, as luck would have it. Just for reference, as you stand in front of the car looking at the engine the cylinders closest to you are 2,4,6 reading left to right...and the back cylinders are 1,3,5, reading left to right.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

jgarza

Unread post by jgarza » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:17 am

thank you i couldnt find a diagram anywhere. i was just going off of another technicians word. i was a little confused because there are numbers 1-6 casted on the block .which would indicate that cylinder 2 is cylinder 1. i think i haave it fingered out . i will be firing it up tomorrow hopefully everything checks out

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 pm

Yeah, the numbers can be confusing because the intake ports are actually run across from each other. The beginning of the #2 port is actually where the #1 cylinder is, so it can cause some trouble, but you'll be fine since you now know that #1 cylinder is in the back left corner as you stand in front of the car looking at the engine.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+