dashboard lights on 2002 alero

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
youngnana

dashboard lights on 2002 alero

Unread post by youngnana » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:24 am

when I make a sharp turn, all my dashboard lights pop on

ProTech

Re: dashboard lights on 2002 alero

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Can you give a bit more information, please? Do the lights stay on afterwards? Are you sure ALL the lights are coming on, or is it possibly just the ABS, TRAC and BRAKE lights? Have any repairs been done lately? Does it happen when turning either direction, or just one way?
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

youngnana

Unread post by youngnana » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 pm

yes it is the abs,trac and brake lights and they do stay on ...seems like they only come on when i make a sharp turn to the left....they have been doing that before the last work was done on it...the last work done was the hazard light switch cause the turning lights would go out but if you pushed the hazard light in then the turn signals would work , since thehazard was replaced turn signals work fine...but the dash lights came on before that..I really thank you for your time and help.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am

Ok, so that tells me that it's most likely an ABS problem since those are the only lights that come on, and that's what I figured. Since it only seems to happen on turns, you probably have a wiring harness to one or both of the front hubs that is being stretched during a turn. This is fairly common and requires either or both of the wiring harnesses to the front wheel speed sensors replaced. You may also require a hub, depending on how bad the wiring is, or where the issue exists.

Your best bet would be to get the ABS system scanned at a shop to determine which side (or both) is causing the problem. Then you can go from there to determine where the harness is messed up and/or if you need a new hub bearing with integral wheel speed sensor.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+