2000 Oldsmobile Alero overheating And leaking water

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
coweej

2000 Oldsmobile Alero overheating And leaking water

Unread post by coweej » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58 pm

My 2000 alero is overheating it has 200,000+ miles and have changed thermostat six months ago and it fixed it for a while now it leaks water. What would be most logical choice to fix this before i go for waterpump?

ProTech

Re: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero overheating And leaking water

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm

There is really no 'most logical choice' to go for as you should really fix what is wrong and not guess at parts. You say it leaking water, so where is the leak coming from? That would be the area to concentrate on.

If it is excessively overheating, you may have done some engine damage. When the engine gets really hot due to a condition like this, you can warp cylinder heads, blow head gaskets and cause a lot of other problems as well.

I'd recommend finding where the current leak is from and fix that first.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Unread post by Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 am

Im sorry i should have included where it was leaking from it seems to be coming from the overflow on the resevoir?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:05 pm

If the engine is overheating and pushing coolant out of the reservoir, then you have something adding pressure to the cooling system. Usually this is a blown head gasket.

If you see a constant stream of bubbles, or are unable to get the cooling system bled properly, that is often times the sign of compression being pumped into the cooling system due to a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head, etc. This is a fairly common occurrence on the Alero's.

You might want to try a compression check or cylinder leak down test would be best if you are capable and have the right equipment. That would tell you right away if you have that kind of problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+