2003 Oldsmobile Bravada Noise Under Dash

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Nord1120

2003 Oldsmobile Bravada Noise Under Dash

Unread post by Nord1120 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:27 am

I had a noise under the passenger side dashboard that sounded like base ball player cards in the spokes of a bike. eventually I could not redirect air to the air ducts, and I could not change the temp from heat to cool. Obviously the value that allows the hot water from the engine to enter the heating system was not working. What do I need to replace to fix this?

ProTech

Re: 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:43 pm

It actually is NOT anything to do with the heater core getting hot water. You have a problem inside the heater case, and could be even two different issues. The mode door actuator is what controls the airflow from different vents, so it is probably failed. The temperature door actuator is what controls the hot/cold air from either the heater core or evaporator core, and it too sounds like it failed. The noise you were hearing was one or more actuators trying to move the associated door it/they control. When there is problem such as binding or a failing motor inside the actuator it will make a loud clicking type noise. You will need to replace any and all actuators that have failed. This can be very involved, requiring the entire dash to be removed. Not for an inexperienced person to take on. If you feel you cannot do the repair, it's best to take it to a shop.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Nord1120

Re: 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

Unread post by Nord1120 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Thank You very much, I also have one other problem with the Olds 2003 Bravada ceasing to move although the engine is running. If you give it gas the tachometer does not move and the engine does not rev up or make any noise. I must turn the engine off and restart it and all is normal again. Also the display shows " range 48 miles" when before it happened. It displayed the odometer reading before the power stopped. When this happens it always lets me start moving then I lose power from the accelerator to the engine. Could it be related to the o2 sensors?

ProTech

Re: 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada Noise Under Dash

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:41 pm

The problem you're having with no acceleration is from a bad throttle body. They are electronically controlled and when they fail, your input from the gas pedal no longer functions. Usually restarting the vehicle will make it work for a while, but it always fails again. You would need to replace the throttle body to fix this.

Nord1120

Unread post by Nord1120 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Thank you very much, I appreciate your expertise.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Happy to help...keep us in mind if you have any further problems or questions!