1999 Alero Dash Gauges gone crazy, is it serious?

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
mrubiquitous

1999 Alero Dash Gauges gone crazy, is it serious?

Unread post by mrubiquitous » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 am

I am in the process of potentially buying an Olds Alero 1999 from a friend. It was driven down from Michigan, has 140k miles, it looks in good condition but the gauges on the dash are going crazy. My friend said this started when he came to Florida a couple of years back, the tach stutters from 0 to 7 randomly, the mileage is set to Kilometers, the fuel and temperature gages are pegged in the opposite direction as if the wires are connected backwards or something, thus a 360 degree change on the other side of the peg on the gauge. Also, what looks like a fuse light is on in the upper left hand corner of the dash as well as the battery light. Any suggestions?

Meccboy

Re: 1999 Alero Dash Gauges gone crazy, is it serious?

Unread post by Meccboy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 pm

These things may all be a problem in the gauges cluster, although somtimes when jump starting a car, the gauges will peg the wrong way. This would make sense, since the battery light is on, so the alternator may not be charging- thus it was jump started. You can remove the cluster, remove the lens, and just move the needles back around.

RLG23

2001 Olds Alero Power Issues

Unread post by RLG23 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:16 pm

I started my 2001 alero this morning. It seemed to turn over fine. But then when I realized I forgot something. I shut it off, then when I came back 30 seconds later, nothing... All the electronics seem to be dead. No headlights, dash lights, power locks, or anything... The only thing that still seems to still be working is when I have the key in the "ACC" position the "check engine soon" light comes on. Not sure why that would be the only thing coming on. But anyways, tried a jump start but no luck. And a quick skim over the fuses show that they all seem to be good. The battery is pretty old, and I'm not sure if batteries can just completely stop working, but if so I guess that could explain it. I'm going to try switching out later but in the mean time any alternative ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Duwayne

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Battery Power Issues

Unread post by Duwayne » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Yes, a battery can just go out all of a sudden.
I would also suspect an ignition switch. This is what feeds power to most of the vehicles systems. Try turning the key very rapidly back and forth, or even tapping on the head of the key with a small hammer. These things will usually cause a bad ignition switch ( not the cylinder) to act up or correct itself.

papi2010

Olds Alero 2002 No Trun Signals

Unread post by papi2010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:38 pm

No turn signal or harzad lights, fuses are okay.
Olds Alero 2002

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Olds Alero 2002 No Trun Signals

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Most likely the problem with your Oldsmobile is the hazard flasher switch. The switch to the right of the instrument cluster also has the turn signal flasher internal to it. If it were unplugged or faulty it would affect both the turn signals and the hazard lights. Try pressing the button in very slowly to see if you can get any lights to flash or flicker. That would indicate the switch is bad. If nothing at all happens it may be unplugged. Remove the trim around the dash cluster and get your hand behind the dash to see if that hazard switch is plugged in.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.