Oldsmobile Alero will not crank, security light

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
tinamarie21

Oldsmobile Alero will not crank, security light

Unread post by tinamarie21 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I have found the problem with not cranking and people think it is their fuel pump not working. There is a security glitch in the Oldsmobile cars. A temporary fix: turn the key to the "on" position without trying to start it and leave it on for 10 minutes. If you are lucky enough to not run the battery down while doing this, it should start. You may have to get a jump start if your battery died. That is a temporary fix. I have seen two different solutions for a permanent fix:

1. People have said they changed the ignition [costs a lot] 2. Found a solution where you have to take out the radio and you cut a certain wire [which is yellow], but I lost that solution [originally found on carproblems.com]. The car has to be running when the security wire is cut and it has to be taped.
As for my car, none of the gauges were working, which is another problem entirely, but here is what I did:
Changed gauges, still didn't work. There was a short in the fuse box for the gauge fuse. A mechanic at Oldsmobile [ Thankfully he was overrun with work and gave me some free advice [go figure]; he told me that there is more than one thing on a circuit and that the radio was on the same circuit with the gauges.

He told me to unplug the radio and it might work. Well, I did unplug the radio and found that wires behind the radio were burned through the rubber and touching and causing the short. We taped up all the bare wires and the gauges now work. One problem solved, the next, how do I get rid of this Oldsmobile?

chad

Re: Oldsmobile Alero will not crank, security light

Unread post by chad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

The Passlock cylinder is the most common for the security light. That part that can be pulled from the ignition switch with the radio removed.

dakota

2000 alero ignition sensor

Unread post by dakota » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:47 am

My 2000 Alero will try to start but will not catch. I have been told it could be the fuel pump, fuel filter and the ignition sensor. The first two I can fix myself but I need info on the ignition sensor. What does it do? Where is it located? Is it easily replaced by a back yard mechanic? Are they expensive? Is there a recall for them?

ProTech

Re: 2000 alero ignition sensor

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 pm

The ignition sensor you're thinking of is called the Passlock Sensor. It is part of and comes with a new ignition cylinder, which you would need to purchase if you do in fact need a new Passlock Sensor.

It's pretty easy to replace, but you need to remove the radio and instrument cluster to gain access to everything you have to disconnect. A theft re-learn procedure will be required after replacement which can be done by trying to start the car, then leaving it sit for 10 minutes (or until the security light goes out), then turning the ignition off and leaving it for a minute, then finally turning it on and starting the car.
Attachments
passlock cylinder.jpg
GM Passlock Ignition Cylinder
passlock cylinder.jpg (7.18 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+