2004 Oldsmobile Alero Front MacPherson Struts

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
jharwe1

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Front MacPherson Struts

Unread post by jharwe1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi there

I have a 2004 Olds Alero and just finished replacing the front struts. Upon removing the old struts, I discovered that the ball bearings in the upper mounts on both the driver and passenger side were both missing. In addition, the driver side was missing the plastic insulator between the spring and the strut.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I live in a very rural area. So, I went ahead and installed the new struts and torqued them to 55 ft / lbs as specified.

My question is simply what the consequences could be of the missing bearings in the upper mounts and the 1 missing insulator. She feels fine. In fact, far better than before replacing the struts.

Meccboy

Re: 2004 Oldsmobile Alero Front MacPherson Struts

Unread post by Meccboy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Without bearnings, you may get a snapping sound of the spring, since it is not turning smoothly when turning the wheels.
Eventually the parts that are rubbing together where there should be a bearing, are going to grind a wear out.

jharwe1

Unread post by jharwe1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks meccboy! More than anything, your explanation gave me a good understanding of what the bearings are there for in the first place. I'm very new at all this, but definitely enjoying myself. You all have great and valued service here and I hope you keep up the good work.

I'll pick up new mounts and get them installed.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

jharwe1 wrote:Thanks meccboy! More than anything, your explanation gave me a good understanding of what the bearings are there for in the first place. I'm very new at all this, but definitely enjoying myself. You all have great and valued service here and I hope you keep up the good work.

I'll pick up new mounts and get them installed.
Another good job Meccboy !.
Glad we could help jharwe1
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.