2001 alero bcm electrical problem

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
audichris

2001 alero bcm electrical problem

Unread post by audichris » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:22 pm

i have a 2001 alero 2.4l 2dr that unlocks and locks the doors randomly on its own. it does it regardless if its running, key on engine off, or key off. i found out that the bcm is not holding memory and was stuck in relearn all the time and it could be the cause. so i replaced the bcm and had it flashed by the dealer. still have the problem. i checked the wiring to the bcm and it does have key off and key on power so it shouldn't lose memory but it still is. any suggestions?

Stan

Re: 2001 alero bcm electrical problem

Unread post by Stan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:48 am

Doors locking and unlocking like this could just be one of the door lock switches is faulty.
But, if you are certain the BCM is loosing memory / power, then you may have a problem in one of the fuse boxes. Have had a several problems over the years where the circuit that powers the BCM or other components is corroded inside one of the fuse boxes. You cant see it unless you take it apart, then the box is junk after doing that. Sometimes you can see disoloration or corrosion on a few fuse blades. The driver side panel is good for this. Water gets in there. But have seen it in the other fuse boxes as well.

dhardy724

Oldsmobile Coolant temp sensor reads hot

Unread post by dhardy724 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 am

My buddy did a engine swap on my 96 olds cutlass supreme and he replaced the coolant temp sensor and not it reads hot on the temp gauge when I start the car can anyone help me it is the 3.1 sfi motor.

ProTech

Re: Coolant temp sensor

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Possibly put the wrong sensor in, or the terminals are reversed, or just a bad sensor. I'd have to say it's something the guy did during the engine swap if the temp gauge worked normally before that. Possibly some wiring got crushed or broken during the swap. If everything checks out normally, you could just have a bad gauge in the instrument cluster.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

dhardy724

Unread post by dhardy724 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am

Well I had the computer read and it said that there was voltage problem with it now if he changed one of the sensors shouldn't he have changed the one for the gauge as well

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am

Just because you had a code for a voltage issue, doesn't mean it's automatically a sensor problem. Also, depending on what year/model your used engine came out of, it could have one or two sensors. Some years only have one sensor that works both the gauge and the computer, some have two. You might want to have him go over his work and check it out.

dhardy724

Unread post by dhardy724 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 am

Alright on that note the motor came out of a 97 grand am

ProTech

Re: Oldsmobile Coolant temp sensor reads hot

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah, you may have a different set up now. The Grand Am is an 'N' body style and your Cutlass is a 'W' body style. Your best bet would be to go to your local GM dealer and have them look up the sensors for each and see if there is two, one, or they are different part numbers. That would be your problem then, and probably no way of getting around it. If you are confident the engine is running fine and not overheating, you could just live without the gauge and save some money.