2002 Alero Won't Start at Times

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.

2002 Alero Won't Start at Times

Unread post by Guest » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Problem with my 2002 Olds Alero V6.
Repair work done prior = Changed Battery, Brakes, Oil change
Work done to repair this problem = None, can't figure out what it is?
2002 Olds Alero, six cylinder.
Car will turn over but will not start? Battery's been tested, spark has been tested, electrical system has been tested and is not reporting any errors, you can hear the fuel pump hum when the key is in the "on" position...
The car will start sometimes and not others and it seems if you leave it awhile and try again, it starts again. There are no indication lights for anything on the dash board panel...?
Tried removing the gas cap and starting it and it did not work lastnight, but then after that, we put the cap on and it did start..could it BE a gas cap issue? Or maybe the fuel filter itself? Not sure if that would cause a fail to start or not...need some suggestions pleeeeasse! Thank you.

JK

Re: 2002 Alero Won't Start at Times

Unread post by JK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:37 pm

This could be several things- but a gas cap is NOT one of them.
Would need to have fuel pressure checked when it is acting up, check for spark, check for fuel injector pulse.
When it does not start, is the theft / security light on the dash as you release the key when it won't start?

Tanya

Unread post by Tanya » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:37 am

Hello thank you so much for your response! I was wondering what you were referring to when you mentioned the fuel injector pulse? What is that and what does it control or do? Would it also cause an issue with starting the car, and how would I go about fixing it, or at least locating the problem?

I cannot find anything in my manual about a fuel injector, or even a "pulse" that you mentioned.

As well, the security light does not come on, it is not that for sure. As I mentioned, everything to do with power, spark,and fuel has been tested? That's why it's such a mystery to me!

What about the fuel filter? I have never changed it...

Let me know what you think, thanks again!

JK

Unread post by JK » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Fuel injector puse refers to the electrical signal sent to the fuel injectors to make them turn on and off- or pulse.
If there is no signal to them, they will not turn on-open, so no fuel will be srpayed from them.
Again, need to check fuel pressure. Just because you can hear the fuel pump turn on, does not mean
the pressure is high enough.
Fuel filter would be a good start, but that is just guessing at parts.

Swanson

Unread post by Swanson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Sounds to me like in ignition switch problem. The ignition switch feeds power to all the tires different electrical circuits. This could be the reason for no fuel pressure if that's to case. Try tapping on the key while the car is running and see if you can cause it to die out. If it does then the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. This is a pretty common problem on this Oldsmobile and in many different Chevy cars. But again as stated above, you need to have the fuel pressure checked with an actual fuel pressure gauge.

dave h

Unread post by dave h » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:56 pm

JK wrote :
> This could be several things- but a gas cap is NOT one of them.
> Would need to have fuel pressure checked when it is acting up, check for
> spark, check for fuel injector pulse.
> When it does not start, is the theft / security light on the dash as you
> release the key when it won't start?
I have similar problem, when car won't srart there is no spark turns over fine try several times as soon as there is spark it srarts right up