Oldsmobile Silhouette Stalls and Won't Start

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Kenny

Oldsmobile Silhouette Stalls and Won't Start

Unread post by Kenny » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:14 am

1994 Olds Silhouette 3800 3.8 engine Mini van 3.8.
My friend had the fuel pump changed and gave it a standard tune up.
Hello Guys.
My friend recently purchased a use 1994 olds mini van Silhouette with the 3.8 engine its a very clean car and runs great but after awhile for no reason it dies out and has a hard time restarting ? he had a standard tune up done and new fuel pump installed. it ran great for a few days then started doing it again dying out ? Another friend said to ck or change the mass air flow sensor ? I think its in the brain or control modual myself ? Has any of these issues popped up on these vans before or do you know where we should ck ?
Thank you.

JK

Re: Oldsmobile Silhouette Stalls and Won't Start

Unread post by JK » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 am

No, it would not be the MAF sensor. That would cause a stall or hard to re-start.
Need to find out what it missing when it stalls and wont start.
Is it missing fuel pressure, spark, fuel injector pulse?
Assuming fuel ressure is good, then find out if loosing just spark or injector pulse is the key.
Is missing both, then it could be crank position sensor or ignition module.
If just missing fuel injector pulse, then may be a PCM. Would need a "Noid" light or test light to check injector pulse.
A way to test the crank sensor is to tap on it to see if you can get the van to stall, or is to poor some water on it to cool it off after a stall, then see if it starts back up right away.
The crank position sensor is behind the crank shaft pulley.

Doittoday

2001 olds silhouette making faint odd ding noise

Unread post by Doittoday » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:59 pm

2001 olds silouette making a dong noise like when an elevator reaches a floor, not very loud but what is it? Should I be concerned? In the middle of long drive, just stopped at rest area. Any help greatly appreciated

It stopped after I stopped at the rest area.

TerryAuto

Re: 2001 olds silhouette making faint odd ding noise

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, that's really hard to say without hearing it. It may be the warning chime is going off for some reason- like the seatbelt is unbuckled, but the chime is just broken. The chime is internal to a module.

Try turning the van off, then turn on the headlights. This will cause the chime to activate. If it sounds funny like that, you can determine that the chime is broken, but will still need to find out why the chime is activating in the first place.

Rebecca

Sensor 3.4 l silhouette heating or thermostat sensor

Unread post by Rebecca » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:36 pm

I have a over heating issue on my 2001 oldsmobile silhouette 3.4 L need to find out where to locate sensors to replace them.

carriedi

Re: Sensor 3.4 l silhouette heating or thermostat sensor

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:46 pm

here is a picture for some sensors on the engine. Why are you looking to replace the sensors for an overheat problem?
Attachments
cts 01 silhouette.png
Olds Silhouette 3.4L engine sensor locations