2002 Oldsmobile Alero P0300 misfire code

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
bad coil

2002 Oldsmobile Alero P0300 misfire code

Unread post by bad coil » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I go to start my 2002 alero 2.2l and it has trouble starting... check engine light starts flashing... used a hand-held scanner and got the P0300 random misfire code. I've been doing as much research as I can and think that this my be an easy fix with just plugs and wires (perhaps even a coil) but the thing that is throwing me for a loop is that the ETS has been kicked off as is indicated by the "Trac Off" display lamp in the dash. Should this be a clue to point me more in the direction of a coil issue or is there other possibilities?

Paltry409

Re: 2002 alero p0300 code

Unread post by Paltry409 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 pm

The fact that the ETS light is on and traction is disabled is just a result of the check engine light flashing. There are many codes that will turn off traction control. A flashing check engine light means that the misfire is bad enough to cause possible catalytic converter damage. Yes spark plugs, spark plug wires and ignition coils are the common cause for misfires on this engine. Also a leaking fuel pressure regulator will do the same thing. When the FPR fails, it leaks gas into its vacuum line. This causes an extremely rich condition. It will usually clear itself up after a few hard accelerations.