1997 Bravada "loss of power"

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Eugene Grahn

1997 Bravada "loss of power"

Unread post by Eugene Grahn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:12 am

I have a 97 Bravada that I recently changed the radiator in and now I am experiencing a great loss of power. It starts and idles fine but when I get on the gas to go it takes awhile to get up to speed. Once up to speed (55mph) it runs ok at best with a waver on the rpm guage. Running it at a slow speed produces a chugging motion as if its running out of gas. Giving it more gas produces no additional power just higher rpm's. When I have it idling in park and I rev the engine all sounds ok, the problem only seems to happen when it is in gear and then the enginge sounds real doggy going down the road. Does this have anything to do with swapping the radiator, or is that just a coincidence to a much greater problem (such as the tranny) as I fear it might be? Also to note the temp and oil pressure gauge indicate normal operating conditions.

butchkaz
Site Admin

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada "loss of power"

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Almost sounds like you are describing two different conditions. You say it is chugging as if running out of gas- which would suggest low fuel pressure, plugged catalytic converter, or other engine problem. You also say that giving it more gas produces no additional power, just higher RPM. If the engine races, but the truck does not accelerate, then this could be a transmission problem. But it does sound more like an engine power problem. So back to the start of this post, i would have fuel pressure checked, have the exhaust checked for being restricted- catalytic converter, and scan it for trouble codes.
Replacing the radiator would nothing to do with the problems you are having that i can think of.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

Eugene Grahn

Re: 1997 Bravada "loss of power"

Unread post by Eugene Grahn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks much it did turn out to be a plugged catalytic converter. It was just coincidence that it happened right after changing the radiator. The code came up as a clogged carbon filter which reminded me that my catalytic converter wasnt making any more noise. Thanks for the help.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Problem fixed: 1997 Bravada "loss of power"

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Eugene Grahn wrote:Thanks much it did turn out to be a plugged catalytic converter. It was just coincidence that it happened right after changing the radiator. The code came up as a clogged carbon filter which reminded me that my catalytic converter wasnt making any more noise. Thanks for the help.
Happy to help. Glad you got it corrected.
Come visit us again !
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.