'92 88 Trans Slip

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Old Olds

'92 88 Trans Slip

Unread post by Old Olds » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:34 am

When I first key-on the car and put it into gear, the trans won't shift. Latter after about 15mins it will shift. Sometimes you need to put it into L before putting into D to get it to shift. But after it's warmed up then it's no longer an issue. Could this possibly a vacuum leak issue? I think I'm getting good vacuum.

butchkaz
Site Admin

1992 Delta 88 Trans Slip

Unread post by butchkaz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Old Olds wrote:When I first key-on the car and put it into gear, the trans won't shift. Latter after about 15mins it will shift. Sometimes you need to put it into L before putting into D to get it to shift. But after it's warmed up then it's no longer an issue. Could this possibly a vacuum leak issue? I think I'm getting good vacuum.
No, not a vacuum issue. Sounds like an internal problem. It is 18 years old.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

wildman

Re: '92 88 Trans Slip

Unread post by wildman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am

I would change the trans filter and see if it helps. If the fluid smells burnt (can't miss that smell) it may be time to look into a replacement though. While the pan is off, check for shavings in the bottom- and around the magnet (most have one). But the filter is in my opinion one of the most important maintenance pieces that get missed- it's worth the extra @$20 IMHO.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free