2002 Olds Silhouette Misfire code PO302

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
bowtie

2002 Olds Silhouette Misfire code PO302

Unread post by bowtie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:35 pm

I have a PO302 misfire code (misfire cyl #2) problem. The van always starts just fine and then (typically) while it is still cold, the engine bucks on occaision with a misfire (resulting with a blinking SES light) and then once in a while it will set a hard PO302 code. This has been a very erratic problem. I have ran fuel injection cleaner through it which seems to help for a little while, then every once in a while always in the early morning, the misfire will occur again.

I realize that the problem could be with spark plugs, wires, ignition coils, perhaps a dirty or failed fuel injector, a plugged CAT converter, bad ECT sensor, bad MAF sensor or possibly the ECM itself.

Because this problem is so erratic, has anyone else been through this particular problem and if so, what did you discover ? Does anyone have any recommendations for where to begin ? I just do not want to throw parts at this and pray that I hit the right part. Cold weather will soon be here and I would like to resolve this issue before winter.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide !!! :?

MeccBoy

Re: 2002 Olds Silhouette Misfire code PO302

Unread post by MeccBoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:28 pm

The problem your van has CAN be all those parts listed.
If the injector cleaner helps, then i would suspect a bad injector.
Look closely at spark plug and wire, or swap to a different cylinder to see if the misfire follow them.
MAF not very likely, coolant temp sensor- no, Cat converter- no, ECM- unlikely
Stick with the basics.
If spark plug has orange residue, possibly headgasket.

bojohepp

Gas smell/White smoke

Unread post by bojohepp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm

I have a 2000 olds silhouette that I just put a new fuel pressure regulator on. After replacing it, I started the van and immediately began smelling gas. No gas was leaking around the regulator or anywhere that I can see, but I did notice that the exhaust is blowing white. I went ahead and changed the PCV valve and it still is smelling and blowing white. Any ideas what this is? The only thing I did when changing the regulator was remove the fuel pump fuse to depressurize. I put it back once I was done. The van is running good, it just stinks pretty bad. Could use your help. Thanks

carriedi

Re: Gas smell/White smoke

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about the smoke yet. Find out where the gas smell is coming from. If you smell gas, you have a leak somewhere. Cycle the key a few times to build up fuel pressure and look for a leak. don't start the engine. just turn the key off and then on so that the dash lights come on. that should make the 2 second prime for the fuel pump build up your fuel pressure. Look around for a leak and see if you can smell where the leak is.

once you have the leak fixed start up your engine and see if you can find a reason for the white smoke. White smoke is usually water. (steam) it could be condensation in the exhaust system from sitting over night or after a long cool down. That should get less as the exhaust system heats up. Excessive white smoke that doesn't go away after warming could be coolant getting into the combustion chamber.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bojohepp

Unread post by bojohepp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Ok. I'll try to find the leak. Youre right, white smoke went away. Van had been sitting for quite a number of days without starting it. Any idea if changing fpr somehow led to gas leak?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 am

it is possible that the gas smell could be from residue from when you did your regulator. has the smell gone away? but you have to check it just in case
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bojohepp

Unread post by bojohepp » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Just giving you an update on the van. I checked it out good today and there isn't any gas smell at all, plus the white smoke is no longer there. I believe you were right. It was probably residual gas from changing the regulator. Thanks again for your assistance. Very helpful.