1999 F250 SuperDuty

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
jmcghehey

1999 F250 SuperDuty

Unread post by jmcghehey » Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 am

Hi. My son was driving his truck this morning. It had been driving perfect since replacing a spark plug a couple weeks ago. There were no leaks or issues that we were aware of. It is a 1999 F250 Super Duty V10 Vortex. He said all of the sudden he heard a pop. Then, it wouldn't shift properly and he lost pedal pressure. He didn't drive far. That was noticed while he was trying to pull over. There was white smoke from under the hood. He got it pulled over and turned off. Upon popping the hood, he noticed transmission fluid every where. When I got there, I noticed the dip stick was out so the fluid pushed the dip stick out and fluid went everywhere. I am hoping the sudden loss of fluid is what causing the shifting issue but any idea what could be wrong?

carriedi

Re: 1999 F250 SuperDuty

Unread post by carriedi » Wed May 18, 2022 11:15 am

what loss of pedal pressure?

Usually, hearing a pop and then white smoke is a coolant hose breakage. Or an AC hose...

Without knowing the trans oil level it could have been overfilled that would cause a leak out the fill tube when hot. Slipping torque converter can cause excessive heat.

afterwards, how was the radiator fluid? full and just antifreeze? No trans fluid in the coolant?

what does the trans fluid look like and what it the level? Are the trans cooling lines all good and tight, no leaks or broken trans hoses?

Need more updated information on what you have found after the initial inspection