Electric inside car and gauges off and on

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Earlg

Electric inside car and gauges off and on

Unread post by Earlg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:04 am

Think it's the bcm but some time the gauges come on when I try to turn ac or Windows they got off. Car running good 2002 Oldsmobile alero if I reset it by disconnecting both sides of battery and clap them together for 15 minutes will that help or do I have to have the bcm cleaned or replaced

carriedi

Re: Electric inside car and gauges off and on

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:06 am

not sure what you are describing. what do you mean when you say the gauges come on? Aren't they usually on when your car is running? Are you saying that when the ac is on your windows do not work? Does the ac work when you turn it on?

I would change any part without using a scanner and see what is happening through the data stream for the affected systems. See if any of the affected circuits share a common ground or power circuit. It's possible that a poor ground or power source can draw power away from other circuits.

many vehicles have a instrument cluster part of the scanner that you cal look at the gauges and lights. Many good scanners can look at the BCM. Some scanners have parts that can look at the door modules that control the windows. Code readers won't look at all the things that higher grade scanner will look at.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Earlg

Unread post by Earlg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:29 am

The reset worked

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:03 pm

congrats

the reset (and you only need to hold the battery cables together for seconds to release any capacitors that have stored up voltage) may have cleared the symptoms for now. You have to see if they stay gone or if you have a problem that shows up intermittently.

but I am happy you are good to go for now.

Earlg

Unread post by Earlg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks but it reoccured when I took my audio fuse out to remove the wire I had there running the radio

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

I am kind of loss here. what wire did you have to remove that runs your radio? And why did you have to remove it? Is this an aftermarket radio that's spliced into the factory wiring harness?

Aftermarket radios that are spliced into the factory harness are a common problem with other systems. I had a Honda Accord that burned up the whole lighting circuit because the customer looked for a good ground circuit for his radio. So he found a wire that showed ground and tied into it for his new radio. and the radio worked fine. The problem was that the wire was grounding because it was the parking light circuit. It showed ground because the wire was connected through all the parking lights. Everything worked great few a few days. Then he drove it one night... When he turned the lights on, his radio ground became battery voltage. Now, I don't know why the fuse didn't blow, or maybe it did and the customer put in a bigger fuse, but when the car came into the shop, the wire through the dask from the fuse box all the way to the front parking lights had melted and also melted wires around it into one huge mess.

If you buy an aftermarket radio always buy the radio adapter that most radios have to plug into the factory harness plug-in. Makes it plug and play. no worries about power and grounds. Speakers and power antenna if used. memory power and ACC powers plus the dash lighting are hooked up to the right places.

just saying, tying into the wrong can affect a lot of other systems.

If everything was fine until you pulled the fuse out, reset the battery connection again after you put the radio wire and fuse back in. Then drive it and don't change anything. See if the condition comes back or not.