Problem with my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4x4
Engine size = 4.2
SES light
GM Computer codes p0128, p0172, p0410, p0455, p0606
question = SES came on about 1 wk ago. Cold weather. Took TB to
garage, ran codes and 5 codes came back. The garage checked out a few
of the codes and said that all values and sensors were fine. Garage did not
specify which codes they checked. Said they only checked out a few of the
codes. SES will not reset, comes right back on with the same codes.
Garage feels that it must be the computer and it needs replaced. I have
read that if the computer is bad, the vehicle will run rough. It runs fine, no
indication of anything wrong other than SES light. Could there be
something else causing all these codes, something simple instead of
replacing the computer?

mechanic boy

Re: 2004 Chevy Trailblazer SES Codes p0128 p0172 p0455 p0410

Unread post by mechanic boy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 pm

Well, the P0455 would have nothing to do with running rich, or the P0172 code.
P0455 is usually a gas cap problem, or a vent solenoid.
P0128 is "Coolant temp below thermostat operating threshold" usually caused by a faulty thermostat. That may
cause the rich code, since engine temp is not high enough, and engines always burn more gas when cold, as
compared to being warmed up.
P0606 is an internal fault in the PCM. This may be the cause of more than just this codes, or only this code. The
ground may have fixed this one. Also, there is a PCM programming update for this year to correct false P0606 code.
Did the light ever come on before that time?
I need to know if any of these codes came before any of the other codes.
With the light on, some of codes may have been in history, meaning they happened at a
different time, and may not all came on the same time. This is important because all these
codes are different systems, but can be related depending on which one come on at the same
time together. Either see if is states anything like that on the receipt, or have it cleared and get
codes scanned when light comes back on to see which ones come back together. I would need
this info before i can look at ALL these codes.Mechanic on duty
Chevy-Trailblazer-Thermostat.jpg
Chevy Trailblazer Thermostat
Chevy-Trailblazer-Thermostat.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 3145 times

heavvvy

Unread post by heavvvy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 pm

As of right
now, the SES light has been an ongoing thing. It is always a different reason why it is on. O2
sensor, other sensors related to emissons system, specifically the secondary air system. The
garage has replaced parts to it, about a year ago. Those parts were the first they checked
and they said they are fine. I don't even remember all codes. Everything has been running
great for about a year. Haven't had the light on. Light came on about a week ago and my
husband drove it for the entire week with the light on before we put it in for service. The
garage did not tell us which codes were in history and which were new. They just gave us a
list of codes. The next day after the garage looked at it is when we noticed gas smell and
from a full tank, saw that it was burning through gas fast. Which would make sense with the
two of the codes, 455-large leak, 172-running rich. Garage said they cleared the codes
several times and each time they cleared the SES light came right back on with the same
codes. Basically they said it was probably the computer giving false codes and to call the
dealership. In the meantime, took it to another garage. Found a loose wire, I believe a
ground wire perhaps???? Not sure what wire, to what system, but found a loose wire,
tightened back where it belonged and cleared the codes. That was yesterday, so far the SES
has not come back on. Can let you know if SES comes back on, driving it today to see if light
comes back on. I wonder if it were something that simple like a loose wire that caused it all?
On a side note, I have a Chevy Impala 03, that had abs light with service traction soon code
c1218(I think) anyhow, turned out to be a loose ground wire. Tightened wire back in its place,
light reset, hasn't been back on since, about 3wks now.

mechanic boy

Unread post by mechanic boy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:11 pm

heavvvy wrote:As of right
now, the SES light has been an ongoing thing. It is always a different reason why it is on. O2
sensor, other sensors related to emissons system, specifically the secondary air system. The
garage has replaced parts to it, about a year ago. Those parts were the first they checked
and they said they are fine. I don't even remember all codes. Everything has been running
great for about a year. Haven't had the light on. Light came on about a week ago and my
husband drove it for the entire week with the light on before we put it in for service. The
garage did not tell us which codes were in history and which were new. They just gave us a
list of codes. The next day after the garage looked at it is when we noticed gas smell and
from a full tank, saw that it was burning through gas fast. Which would make sense with the
two of the codes, 455-large leak, 172-running rich. Garage said they cleared the codes
several times and each time they cleared the SES light came right back on with the same
codes. Basically they said it was probably the computer giving false codes and to call the
dealership. In the meantime, took it to another garage. Found a loose wire, I believe a
ground wire perhaps???? Not sure what wire, to what system, but found a loose wire,
tightened back where it belonged and cleared the codes. That was yesterday, so far the SES
has not come back on. Can let you know if SES comes back on, driving it today to see if light
comes back on. I wonder if it were something that simple like a loose wire that caused it all?
On a side note, I have a Chevy Impala 03, that had abs light with service traction soon code
c1218(I think) anyhow, turned out to be a loose ground wire. Tightened wire back in its place,
light reset, hasn't been back on since, about 3wks now.
Well, the P0455 would have nothing to do with running rich, or the P0172 code.
P0455 is usually a gas cap problem, or a vent solenoid.
P0128 is "Coolant temp below thermostat operating threshold" usually caused by a faulty thermostat. That may
cause the rich code, since engine temp is not high enough, and engines always burn more gas when cold, as
compared to being warmed up.
P0606 is an internal fault in the PCM. This may be the cause of more than just this codes, or only this code. The
ground may have fixed this one. Also, there is a PCM programming update for this year to correct false P0606 code.
Did the light ever come on before that time?
I need to know if any of these codes came before any of the other codes.
With the light on, some of codes may have been in history, meaning they happened at a
different time, and may not all came on the same time. This is important because all these
codes are different systems, but can be related depending on which one come on at the same
time together. Either see if is states anything like that on the receipt, or have it cleared and get
codes scanned when light comes back on to see which ones come back together. I would need
this info before i can look at ALL these codes.Guest