2002 Trailblazer Remote control of outside mirrors

md1

2002 Trailblazer Remote control of outside mirrors

Unread post by md1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am

We were caught in a tornado watch a year ago and had to sleep in our car overnight, so we opened the windows occasionally to let air inside. Rain came in, but we needed the air so we didn't suffocate. Since that time the Remote control of the outside mirrors have been failing. First the passenger door mirror went out that day. Then the Driver side mirror went out. What can I do to fix this without spending $$$$$?

ProTech

Re: 2002 Trailblazer Remote control of outside mirrors

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

You probably got some moisture into the mirror switch during the time you had the window open to let air in. This will normally end up being bad for any electronics that have moisture intrusion into them, including any switches.

Luckily for you, you most likely just need to replace the power mirror switch located on the driver's side door panel, right by the window switches. The switch is fairly inexpensive and very easily installed. You just have to pop up the bezel with all the switches in it and then change it out and plug it in.

A bit of side information for you....you CANNOT suffocate inside a closed up vehicle, so there was really no need to lower your windows for air. There is a built in venting system into every single vehicle made so this does not happen, as well as to provide a pressure release when needed (such as when you shut the doors).
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

md1

Unread post by md1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:06 am

Wow...thanks for your response. Especially about the suffocation issue. Mind you this was the middle of summer in North Dakota....so it was warm outside...but I was concerned about the suffocation issue with three people and a dog in the car!

But to the mirror controllers...is there a video or picture of what I need to change this out?

Do you suggest parts from the dealer, or other places? Thanks a million for this response. I'll let you know the results on the other issues too! Thanks...

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 pm

You can probably only get the switch from the dealership, and would recommend doing so anyway rather than getting anything aftermarket. You just have to lift the bezel with the window switches and mirror switch up (you can pop out the retainers with a small screwdriver) and then change out the switch and plug the new one in. I'll include a pic below for you. Good luck!

GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+