2004 Trailblazer Alternator Charging Problem

Treyd

2004 Trailblazer Alternator Charging Problem

Unread post by Treyd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 am

Problem with my 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT Replaced alternator and serpentine belt.
Question = I have a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT, 6 cyl. I suddenly recieved a "Battery not charging" msg on the DIC and battery/alternator light came on. I've attempted to test the alternator while still in the car by taking voltmeter reads at the battery posts with the car not running then running, but the results were totally untypical. The readings I was getting were in milliVolts rather than volts. I removed the alternator and took it to a parts store to have it bench tested. They said is was putting out 12 volts (should be like 14 or so) and the amps were very low (they said it should be 150 amps). I purchased and installed the new alternator, which I had them bench test before hand too, but the results are the same. I still get the "Battery not charging" message and the battery/alternator dash light is still lit. I charged the battery using a charger before installing the new alternator. Do you have any idea where I should look next? Is there a regulator or fusable l!
ink between the alternator and the battery that could be interupting the current? Thank you in advance

Treyd

Re: 2004 Trailblazer Alternator Charging Problem

Unread post by Treyd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 am

Here are my latest details. By the time I saw your response I already had the battery out of the truck, because I was going to take it to have it tested, so using a different meter (analog) I tested the battery and it was at 12 volts. So, I put the battery back into the truck and tried to redo my tests. With the truck running I wasn’t getting a reading on the voltmeter. I started looking for the output wire from the alternator so I could put a light on it as you suggested. It’s almost impossible to isolate any of the wires coming from the alternator while it is on the truck. The way it is situated in the cramped engine compartment compounded by the fact the truck has air conditioning makes it nearly impossible. However, while trying to get it all sorted out I notice that one of the wires in the plug that attaches to the alternator was broken. This is the plug that is on the outside perimeter of the back of the alternator. It has two wires, a red or orange and a grey. The red wire was completely broke as it emerged from the plug. There is no chance I can splice it back into the plug because the lead coming from the plug is a mere stub. After noticing the broken wire I basically had to uninstall the alternator just to get access to the plug. I tried the local part stores for a new plug but not surprisingly I have to go to the dealer. Hopefully I can get a replacement plug.

Does the broken wire at the plug support the result I was seeing? I must have broken it while installing the new alternator. It was a tough, tough install. Do have any suggestions as to how I can salvage/reuse the existing plug? Is there a way for me to remove the brass insert and reattach the wire?

Again, Thank you for your time and for following up. I really appreciate it