Key issues

Autogirl

Key issues

Unread post by Autogirl » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:44 pm

So my trailblazer has the issue of not allowing me to completely turn the key off. I can pull the key out and all but when I turn it off it doesn't turn the inside lights, radio and so forth off. I just changed the key switch electrical box and the cylinder so I am now at a loss. Please anyone that can help!

carriedi

Re: Key issues

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm

what year is your trailblazer? and what engine? so I can look up the wiring diagram. what inside lights are staying on? Are you talking about the dome lights?

(you might have a body control module problem)

Autogirl

Unread post by Autogirl » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:51 am

It's a 2003 model I'm not completely sure of the motor. The dashboard lights and the radio all stay on. It seems like the key won't turn all the way back. It turns enough to shut off the motor but I thought it had turned one click further before I switch the key cylinder. It did have trouble shifting into park right before it started this.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:05 pm

okay, it sounds more like the shift lock system might be the problem. If the shifter doesn't go all the way into part it won't let the lock cylinder turn all the way off. You should look ate the shifter in the console and make sure it is free and goes all the way into park and makes contact with the shift lock actuator.

Autogirl

Unread post by Autogirl » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:09 am

It seems to be. I've backed it up and then basically slammed it into park. If I can figure out how to take the dang console out I will check it. Thanks for your help

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:42 am

here is diagrams of the console and the actuator location

Red is the shifter lever

the dotted lines are where the screws are for the console
Attachments
03trailblazer console3.jpg
03trailblazer console2.jpg
03trailblazer console1.jpg