1994 Suburban ECM PROM and programming needed

miscon69

2002 Chevy Suburban Went Dead- Strange Electrical Sounds

Unread post by miscon69 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:34 pm

My 2002 Chevy su.burban died while I was driving it. No power. Would do nothing upon trying to start it. Upon removing the key from the ignition there is electrical sounds inside the vehicle. What is going on? Please Help

TomTom

Re: Help

Unread post by TomTom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Just sounds like a dead battery, or alternator.

smiller14

Chevy Suburban Battery goes dead after dash replaced

Unread post by smiller14 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 am

installed a new dash from napa. now the battery drains dead. did not do this before. could the new dash have a short in it. 05 chevy suburban

TerryAuto

Re: Battery goes dead after dash replaced

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 am

If the battery did not go dead before, yes i would certainly suspect the new dash. To be sure, i woud get the battery charged up good, take the dash out, and then let the truck sit the same amount of time it takes the battery to go dead and see if it does. If not, the dash is the problem. The battery must be charged up beore doing this. A weak battery can go dead on its own, even without somthing drawing on it.

smiller14

Unread post by smiller14 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm

yes i did that and it did not go dead. pluged the dash back in and was dead in two days. how can i do a static test?

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 am

I really see no need to test any further. The dash is the problem. If you want to know how to do what is called a "parasitc draw test", the proper way is this...
Remove the negative battery cable, put a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter (DVOM) inline with the cable and the battery terminal.
Put meter on milivolt scale.
Look for a draw of less than 40 miliamps. This is normal.
If there is a draw of more than that, unplug the dash and make sure it drops. That means the dash is drawing the power.
Many people out there try to do this with a testlight, but i have never seen a mechanic good enough to look at a test light and be able to tell by the brightness if the draw is 40 miliamps, or 90 miliamps.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

gotquestions

1994 Suburban ECM PROM and programming needed

Unread post by gotquestions » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:38 am

1994 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 Silverado 4x4 - need to buy and have programmed the ECM PROM GM part number 16195593. Put in lots of hours for weeks on the Internet searching for part, which GM has discontiinued. Have contacted every lead I can find. Anyone have ideas?

carriedi

Re: 1994 Suburban ECM PROM and programming needed

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:12 pm

you need to check online places that rebuild computers. The PROM was always purchased from the dealer as a preset to your vehicle kind of thing. Not something flashed like the cars today. When changing the computer you would remove the PROM and use it in the new or rebuilt unit. If you don't have your prom you should contact some junk yards for trucks and see if you can find a ECM that has the prom still in it that matches your truck.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.