P0178 code

tater12

P0178 code

Unread post by tater12 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:21 pm

while driving home, engine quits. try to restart and acts like starving for fuel. engine code is p0178 fuel composition sensor frequency low (e-85 model). Is this something that I can fix or is it a dealership issue? My repair manual doesnt give any info. auto parts store says it could be a evac issue since the sensor is not located on the fuel pump

MeccBoy

Re: P0178 code

Unread post by MeccBoy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 pm

This would not be an EVAP system problem. Alcohol content and fuel temperature information is supplied to the powertrain control module (PCM) from the fuel composition sensor (FCS). The FCS uses a microprocessor inside the sensor to measure the ethanol percentage and fuel temperature, and changes output signals accordingly. The signal circuit carries both the ethanol percentage, and the fuel temperature within the same signal. The signal is both variable frequency and variable pulse width. The frequency signal indicates the ethanol percentage, and the pulse width indicates fuel temperature. If the PCM detects a signal less than 45 Hz DTC P0178 will set. Very high alcohal content in the fuel will cause this. Most likely the problem is with the sensor, but some diag. of the system nneds to be done.

Freddly

Re: P0178 code

Unread post by Freddly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Yes, i agree it is the sensor. You can replace it yourself is you have some mechanic knowledge. The part is only available from the dealer. Depending on what year and the mileage on your truck, it could fall under the factory emission warranty so it would be a free repair.