97 Chevy Suburban

Fatz317

97 Chevy Suburban

Unread post by Fatz317 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Help!!!! I have a Suburban I did not use to often because of the price of gas and I had a Toyota to use until this week. anyway a couple of years ago the Chevy gave trouble starting in the winter time, which is not to cold in New Orleans, I had to start using it this week and I put a new battery in it because it has been sitting and giving trouble starting. Thursday,Friday, and Saturday no problem but Sunday it was a cool day and it rained. Monday morning I had a lot of trouble starting truck.It took a while but eventually it started. Do you think it could be fuel regulator? Thanks for any help.

ProTech

Re: 97 Chevy Suburban

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Usually if the fuel pressure regulator is bad, it will cause problems all the time, not just intermittently. It could be a fuel pressure problem, though, such as a fuel pump that isn't working to it's full potential. Seeing as how you mentioned is was cool and rainy, you could have moisture affecting the problem. This could be something like ignition wires breaking down, a coil, or even dampness in the distributor cap.

Maybe a tune up is in order since you have had it sitting a long time. Also, I'd definitely recommend doing a fuel pressure check. Your truck should have at least 55psi with the key on and not drop off. Other obvious things to check would be the fuel filter, air filter, if it's got old fuel in the tank, etc.

Fatz317

Unread post by Fatz317 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks I will try a tune up. I have changed fuel pump and fuel filter. I had no problem starting it today. I do not think it has a distributor.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 am

If you've got the 5.7 engine, then yes you do have a distributor. It's got a flatter cap than previous styles, so it's a bit hard to see from the front of the engine, but trust me, you do have one. If you're doing a tune up, please also change the cap and rotor.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Fatz317

Unread post by Fatz317 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:35 am

ProTech wrote:If you've got the 5.7 engine, then yes you do have a distributor. It's got a flatter cap than previous styles, so it's a bit hard to see from the front of the engine, but trust me, you do have one. If you're doing a tune up, please also change the cap and rotor.
Hey man thanks for all your help. Truck has been running. service engine light came on and the scanner has problem as PO141 02 Heater circuit Bank 1 sensor2 could this be the problem?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sat May 04, 2013 6:53 pm

A faulty oxygen sensor can cause plenty of driveability problems. Usually when that code sets, it's the sensor that's bad, but always be sure to check the wiring going to it. More than likely, replacing the sensor will correct that code.

Fatz317

Unread post by Fatz317 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm

thanks again for your help.. can you tell me is there a web site that will show me where that sensor is located?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 05, 2013 9:28 pm

No need for that.....bank 1 is the left (drivers side) bank of cylinders, and sensor 2 is the oxygen sensor past the catalytic converter. Sensor 1 would be closer to the engine, near the exhaust manifold. The one you want to change is after the cat.

Fatz317

Unread post by Fatz317 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:12 pm

one more question...do you think it could be a fuel pump fuse or relay switch? It is warm down here now and one day truck starts on first try and next day gives problems.