1995 chevy Silverado Speedometer And Tach

maureen1904

Chevy pickup blowing blue smoke and misfiring

Unread post by maureen1904 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:31 am

My oldman has a: 1975 Chevy Pickup 4x4:/shortbed/ that had a << 350>>/"388 Stroker Motor" (or 383 i don't remember the #'s)// (A 350 bored out! Sheesh)- put in awhile back... Yesterday he drove it about 40+ miles for materials and was returning when he was almost back at the jobsite when he had to slam on his brakes; Ever since that very moment it has been blowing "BLUE Smoke" and missing really bad...what's the problem? What steps would you take in the repair/diagnosing/whatever...in reference to this problem...Thanking you in advance for ANY input ANYONE is able to provide me with!!! So just know that " You Rock & U know it!!!!" :!: ;)

willwildy

Re: 1975 pickup blowing blue smoke & missing!!!

Unread post by willwildy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 pm

It's tough to tie him hitting the brakes in with a smoking problem so I am going to give you some common cause of smoking on the V-8 Chevy.

#1 Valve seals. At the top of every valve there is a rubber seal that prevents oil from running down between the valve stem and the valve guide. When these become degraded they can cause smoking (especially on startup). They also cause a buildup of carbon/tar on top of the valves which restricts air flow into the engine degrading performance.

#2 PCV valve stuck open. This allows an open pathway between the valve cover and the intake manifold. Allowing oil and air to be sucked into the intake.

#3 Valve cover baffle broken. Again tying into the PCV if this baffle is broken or has been modified it allows engine oil to be sucked in the intake causing blue or whiteish blue smoke.

#4 Taking the missing into account it could be you broke a ring on one of the cylinders. To diagnose this run a compression test on all the cylinders. Compression testers are readily available at most auto parts stores for about $30.00 to use one follow the directions on the packaging.

IF you write back with results from a compression test I will try and help you some more.

Bill
Click here to make a SMALL DONATION to HELP KEEP US FREE

jfw75839

1995 chevy Silverado Speedometer And Tach

Unread post by jfw75839 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 am

I have a 95 chev.pickup 1500 series 350 eng.my tack and speedometor and shift lite works sometime and then quits working? I had someone read the codes,it says check gages? I replaced a transmission snsor,that did not fix it?Any help appricated.jfw75839

wildman

Re: 1995 chev.pu 350 eng.

Unread post by wildman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Check gauges as a code- that doesn't sound right?

But on a different vehicle I have the dash display says that when: washer fluid is low, oil is low, oil or trans fluid needs changed, low gas, and the list continues- but for a code-reader there should have been codes starting with a letter with numbers after?

Is this a digital dash?
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

Brucelenamond

1989 chevy ,350 bro 1500

Unread post by Brucelenamond » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 pm

I need help with my 89 c1500 extended can 2wd. I have changed the plug caps rotor and coil on my own... I am now having a problem cranking my truck it will not start but when I do eventually get it started it has trouble running it won't stay running and has a hard time moving like it's getting no gas I don't know what is wrong any help at all would be appreciated

carriedi

Re: 1989 chevy ,350 bro 1500

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 pm

if your truck was running okay before then I would double check the work that you did.

Gap the plugs at .035"

Make sure the spark plug wires are on the correct towers on the dist.

When you changed the cap did you take the ground strap from the old cap and put it in the new cap? It goes from one of the four screws that hold the coil in to the center pin where the electrical connector plugs into the Distributor cap.

There is no need to change the distributor timing so that should still be the same.

Let me know if it is not one of those things and I can tell you what you may need to check next.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

dontnoshit

Re: 1989 chevy ,350 bro 1500

Unread post by dontnoshit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:52 am

sounds like to me u got ur wires crossed