07 Chevy tick (wet plug no 6 miss

tumper

rattling inside exhaust of 2002 Chevy Silverado

Unread post by tumper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:41 pm

I have a 2002 Chevrolet silverado. When I first start it up I have a loud rattle from under the vehicle, from what I have determined it is inside the exhaust pipe near the catalytic converter. Everything is tight down the exhaust line. First of all does anyone have any ideas what this is and two how do I get it out that is short of cutting the exhaust pipe. Oh, one more thing, the Service engine light is on. I'm only guessing here but could it be the oxygen sensor?

Meccboy

Re: rattling inside exhaust

Unread post by Meccboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Try pounding on the catalytic converter to see is it is rattling inside. If it is, it needs to be replaced. Could possibly also be a shield on top of the muffler or resonator. Noises in the exhaust can travel and be heard in a different spot than the actual rattling part.
A scan of the computer can be done for free at most large national parts store chains.

jodygoings

07 Chevy tick (wet plug no 6 miss

Unread post by jodygoings » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 pm

5.3 clyinder 6 will show miss fire Afta truck is at 210 also rite before fan turns on steaming at tail pipe when fan cuts off temp goes down steam stops and miss fire comes in pull no. 6plug put new in runs great till starts steaming agin at 210 !!!! all lifters changed solenoid plate oil pump and pickup tub clean has just been done,!! I beleave there has to be a crack in head mabe block Cly. 6

carriedi

Re: 07 Chevy tick (wet plug no 6 miss

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 am

just from your description it would sound like you have a coolant leak into cylinder #6 with the engine warm. you might want to take out the #6 spark plug and pressure test your cooling system to a pressure slightly higher than the rating on you radiator cap and see if coolant is leaking into the cylinder.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jodygoings

Unread post by jodygoings » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Yeah it's definitely get colant in it didn't get a chance to touch it today shop full but u can see the plug is wet and doesn't smell like gas so u think its a crack? I don't see a head gasket problem because I installed the new lifters 3 months ago Costmer drive Outa state for work and said it stopped shouting out cylinders so I put new solinod plate on that fixed that then week later oil pressure strayed dropin so did oil pump cleaned pickup in pan and when I run it it has good oil pressure no ticks runs smother unroll 210 rite before fan runs u get a miss coming in steam at tail pipe wen fan kicks off steam easy up then to nothing but tick stay Miss stays no check engine literally so no Des with scared shut it off pull n6 plug its wet stick new one in runs fine agin achswaly might not do it until u run it up the road when u come to a stop u feel miss this is what makes me want to believe a crack! Can u give me any idea are reasons it does not run hot Costmer says never did I don't won't to see him spend money on pulling heads an it be block is there a test u know of? Thanks for posting back I just got on this site so much information my dad wud tell me boy we used books that thing (Samsung mega cat help u but when I stumble are strafe acurance which is most time at my shop forums help and save alot of time !!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:54 am

ok, if you have a misfire on #6 and replacing the plug will make it go away (and the plug is wet) it could be a problem with too much fuel flooding the cylinder. If you say it's wet but it's not gas then the next thought would be that it is coolant. Coolant from a cracked head, a damaged head gasket, bad intake something that will go into cylinder #6. At my shop I would get the engine warmed up to your 210 degrees and pull out the #6 plug and pressure test your cooling system. See if coolant fills up in the cylinder. We have a camera that will go down into the cylinder and we would look to see where it might be coming from.

I wish I could be more helpful but you are talking about something inside the motor. Are you loosing coolant? have you had to add coolant to the system?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.