Silverado instrument cluster panel lighting

Jumpmaster76

Outside Ambient Air Temp Sensor

Unread post by Jumpmaster76 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:34 pm

The fault code on the check eng light comes up as bad sensor. I have been told and seen a diagram of where its suppose to be at in the grill. IT IS NOT THERE!. Is it possible to be getting a bad reading or maybe its located somewhere else and if it is a bad reading what should I look for next?

ProTech

Re: Outside Ambient Air Temp Sensor

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

These sensors go bad quite often, and if you're setting a code for it, it will usually need to be replaced unless you find there is a wiring problem going to the sensor.

The sensor is located right next to the passenger side turn signal lamp on the bracket for the grille. Remove the lamp and you'll see it connected by a plastic pin to the bracket by light. Very easy to replace.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Unread post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 pm

I have looked in the area that you told me where it is at. I even went as far as taking the grill and lights off. Itill can't seem to find it. There is not even a wire that is in that area that is not connected to a light. Thanks for your answer. Is there anything else I could check?

Jumpmaster76

Unread post by Jumpmaster76 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 pm

I have looked in that area once again and cannot seem to locate it. I even went as far as taking all the lights off. There doesn't even seem to have a wire that is not connected to a light in that area. I really appreciated your answer. Any other ideas it might be?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Sometimes the sensor comes loose from where it's held on by the lamp and will fall down inside/behind the front bumper, so maybe take a look around that area....it has to be around there somewhere, it's not like it can disappear, the harness only goes so far. Maybe the truck was wrecked before and the body shop attached it somewhere else, who knows?! At the very least, find the wiring harness for it and trace it down.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Jumpmaster76

Unread post by Jumpmaster76 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks for your reply I will check later in the week again. It has never been wrecked I am the original owner.

06chevsil

Silverado instrument cluster panel lighting

Unread post by 06chevsil » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm

While driving at night my dash lighting fades in and out what seems to be the problem ? Thanx Steve

carriedi

Re: Silverado instrument cluster panel lighting

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 pm

does it go bright and dim with the engine rpm? Or when you are driving at a steady speed it does it? Does it still do it if the lights are on and the engine is not running? Trying to see if it tied to the alternator output or if there is a draw in the circuit.

A year of the truck would determine what kind of instrument cluster and lights you have.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.