Chevy truck must turn key several times to start

Rick3166

Chevy truck must turn key several times to start

Unread post by Rick3166 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

I have a 2002 Chevy silverado and it won't turn over when I turn the key, somtimes it will start other times I have to just turn the key on and off.

ProTech

Re: Chevy truck must turn key several times to start

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 pm

So are you saying it will not crank at all when you turn the key, or is cranking over but won't fire up? Sometimes people get the two confused, so I need to make sure before I can help you.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

JAYHEFFNER

Re: Chevy truck must turn key several times to start

Unread post by JAYHEFFNER » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 am

yea, try describe exactly what happens from the time you turn your key. If its not "turning" then it could be anywhere between ign switch and starter, something electronically simple as a loose or damaged wire, or a mechanical prob like motor/solenoid.

If it IS cranking and not starting, then its probably a passlock issue. The GM cars that used this security system are famous for failures.

flagrin533

2000 chevy 3500 5.7 won't crank

Unread post by flagrin533 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:17 pm

I just installed a crate motor in my pickup, and it fired right up. Had an air bubble in the coolant so I shut it down and purged the air. Went to start it back up, and that's when my problems started. The engine turned twice then started to drag, as it would with a low battery. Stopped and charged battery, still wouldn't turn. Bought new battery, still wouldn't turn. Removed starter and had it tested, they said it was OK, but I figured since I was already there I would just get a new one. Installed new starter, still wont turn. I am quickly approaching the end of my mechanical knowledge, and the bottom of my wallet. Any Ideas?

TerryAuto

Re: 2000 chevy 3500 5.7 won't crank

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm

If it fired right up at the beginning, and now it does not, I would think that something happened to the motor. Maybe the timing jumped. This would give a slow crank like a dead battery or bad starter.

Check for any loose connections, especially ground wires.

carriedi

Re: 2000 chevy 3500 5.7 won't crank

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 am

Put a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt in the center of the harmonic balancer and turn the engine over. NOT TO START THE ENGINE but to see if the engine is froze up. If the motor won't turn over remove all the spark plugs and then try it again. Check to see if you have a hydrostatic lock in a cylinder. Be careful. May be coolant, may be fuel. If you have a cylinder full of a liquid it will be pushed out the spark plug hole and let you turn the engine. if the engine still doesn't turn with all the spark plugs out you may want to call your supplier.

How did you know you had an air pocket in the cooling system?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.