Silverado shakes and sputters at low speeds

4tinygl

Silverado shakes and sputters at low speeds

Unread post by 4tinygl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:39 pm

1999 silverado 4.3L 4x4 engine shakes and sputters at low driving speed or when you barely hold the gas pedal down, but when you mash the pedal it goes normal. what could this be?,

ProTech

Re: Silverado shakes and sputters at low speeds

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Could be a low rpm misfire or other engine/fuel/ignition issue. I've seen burned valves cause a rough idle/low speed running and then be fine once you are on the gas. That would require some investigation, though, such as a compression check. Possibly a tune up is in order? Check fuel pressure and if there are any restrictions like a clogged fuel filter. Have any repairs been made recently?
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

4tinygl

Unread post by 4tinygl » Wed May 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks for the reply.
We did some work to try and fix it. We did a full tune up. Scanned the computer for codes and there were non. Not even a misfire code. My buddy checked the fuel pressure at idle and hitting the gas and said it was fine. I don't remember what the reading was though.

Troy

Unread post by Troy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 pm

take out both o2 sensors before cats then drive and see if it changes if it runs normal other than exhaust leak then its time for new cats one or both are clogged