Having a Rear End problem- Silverado

marsh8203

Having a Rear End problem- Silverado

Unread post by marsh8203 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 am

I have a 2004 chevy Silverado and I have a roaring in the rear end. The first thought came to mind was that the rear bearings was going bad but I also thought that it would be unusual for a truck of this age to have the bearings go bad. I guess I should add; I have just over 64,000 miles on the odometer. What the possibilities? Or What could be happening?

carriedi

Re: Having a Rear End problem- Silverado

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 am

does the noise change when you make turns? does it get louder or quieter if you turn one way or another? If the noise changes by shifting the weight from side to side, axle bearing may be the culprit. they usually start to make noise at 30-35 mph and get louder as speed increases. Usually the noise is there anytime the vehicle rolls over the bad spots in the bearings.

If the noise is there mostly on acceleration or on deceleration or there all the time you should have a shop check your rear diff out. While your mileage is low it is not unusual for Chevy rear ends to go out like this.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

marsh8203

Re: Having a Rear End problem:

Unread post by marsh8203 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 pm

The noise is there all of the time. It does not get louder as I make turns or hit bad spots in the road. The sound is just a roar that's not real loud. The sound is there all of the times. It sounds like a tire going flat or a warped rim.