Strange Dash Light on 2005 Chevy 2500HD

browndog

Strange Dash Light on 2005 Chevy 2500HD

Unread post by browndog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm

I have an 05 2500HD crew cab and there is a light behind the dash just to the right of the Brake indicator. It stays dimly lit even when the vehicle is off which drains the battery if not run regularly. The bulb appears to not be behind any of the indicator templates. The light does not flash nor does it change intensity. Any ideas?

ProTech

Re: Strange Dash Light on 2005 Chevy 2500HD

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 pm

This could be one of a few different issues causing your problem.

I've had bad ignition switches cause problems like this when the power moding through the switch gets messed up.

I've seen issues like this happen when the ground wires on the back of either cylinder head have become broken off, or about to break off.

I've also had just a faulty instrument cluster be the cause.

Any of those above mentioned problems can make the cluster and/or lights inside stay on, stay on dim, flash, mess up, etc. Also, if you've got any aftermarket accessories installed such as an alarm, remote starter, snow plow, etc...a backfeed condition can happen through one of those and it's wiring since they are usually tapped into the power and ground circuits on the truck.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

browndog

Re: Strange Dash Light on 2005 Chevy 2500HD

Unread post by browndog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank You. Only aftermarket acc is Scan Gauge II and elect trailer brake controller plugged into OEM harness. Unplugged scan gauge and light stays on. All other lights out, but Brake warning light is about 1/8 brightness. Will check cyl gnds tomorrow. The light is on with same intensity when ign is off or on. The light does light fully when the parking brake is applied or at ign on test.. ODB scan show no issues. Where can I get a wiring diagram of the inst cluster lights try to trace this?

cranberry83

1993 silverado rear lights

Unread post by cranberry83 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 pm

I was driving home other night in the snow when all the rear lights in my 1993 chevy silverado just stopped working my father checked fuses and looked at wire couldn't see a reason why this would have happend. desprately need it fixed

carriedi

Re: 1993 silverado rear lights

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 am

if the tail light fuse is good check the brown wire out of the headlight switch. see if you have power on the brown wire when you have the parking lights on. Do you have a trailer connector on your vehicle? Easiest to check there. you should show ground with the light switch off and power when it is on. Parking lights are for the tail lights and front markers. Headlights are for the headlights only.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

george

brakes on 2000 chevy silverado 4x4

Unread post by george » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:06 pm

i step on brakes to come to a stop. and the brake pedal resists. and feels like truck dont want to stop. so i force it down and it agreesively stops . dont do it when i am slowing drown only when coming to a stop (i.e. stop lights, parking, etc. what is it where is it to be fixed and what does this job all intales was told absspeed sensor. was told there are only one and then told there are three.

carriedi

Re: brakes on 2000 chevy silverado 4x4

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:54 pm

do you have a vacuum booster of hydro boost?

hydro boost is run with the power steering so it does feel different and does have a pushback feeling.

If you have been told that you have an ABS problem, you should have it scanned and maybe even drive it with a scanner on and see what each sensor is doing.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.