1997 Chevy Truck has no power

Steveb

1997 Chevy Truck has no power

Unread post by Steveb » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:58 pm

1997 k1500 truck Engine size 350. O2 sensor code.
Replaced sensor checked fuel pressure and exhaust back pressure,replaced fuel filter and air filter.
At wide open the engine will not gain any RPM and it bogs down, if i ease up on the gas pedal it will shift and run like it should. i have had it to a repair shop but they couldn't fix it.

TerryAuto

Re: 1997 Chevy Truck has no power

Unread post by TerryAuto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 pm

This problem really sounds like a plugged catalytic converter, but you said it has been checked. I assume yuo have checked fuel pressure. Just because the pumpis new does mean the pressure is high enough.
The nedt thing to look at would be the mass airflow sensor (MAF). When theses act up, it can be similar to a plugged converter or low fuel pressure.

Try disconnecting it and take it for a drive to see if that helped. Even there are no codes for the MAF, it can still be fauty and giving wrong readings to the computer.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

mrsteveb

Unread post by mrsteveb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm

i unhooked the MAF it did run somewhat better soi replacedthe MAF still runs the same,don'tknow what to do next.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Oops, i thought i read you replaced the fuel pump. What is the fuel pressure when it is bogging down?
How was the exhaust backpressure checked ?

mrsteveb

Unread post by mrsteveb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 pm

i don't know what the pressure is i had it checked buy a repair shop.iam not sure how the exhaust pressure was checked but was told that 3 was normal back pressue and the left side was zero and the right side was 1.5.i was wondering if a problem with transmission would cause this? i can manually shift it and not give it more than 1/4 throtle and seems to pick up rpm and speed ok.it has backfired a few times.if i hold it to the floor long enough in gear it will stall.out of gear i can hold it to the floor and it won't get over 3000 rpms.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm

No, it does not sound like a transmission problem, unless the truck is starting our in 3rd or forth gear. That would give feeling of no power, but the mechanic would have noticed that riught away.

Backpressure is good, yes. Man, only thing i have ever seen for this is low fuel pressure, a bad MAF or plugged exhaust.

mrsteveb

Unread post by mrsteveb » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm

I think it is getting to much fuel,i guess i need to take to good dealer and have it checked,I don't know what else to do.

lwh1959

Unread post by lwh1959 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Catalytic converter, first, fuel filter/line, timing belt. These are the biggest trouble spots. Ones that can be checked by you anyway. If it's not these, and it's not the computer, I say take it to a qualified GM dealer, or an ASE certified mechanic. Be careful, I took my 1995 Silverado to my local Chevrolet dealer with a transmission problem, they told me $3,500.00 and It would be fixed. I went to a trans. shop and they fixed it for $55.00 with a new Throttle positioning sensor, Been working fine every since. So go figure.