2003 Chevorlet Silverado 1500 LS 2WD QUESTION Rear Axle

chevydiesel

1995 Chevy 2500 4x4 Not Working

Unread post by chevydiesel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm

I have a 95 2500 silverado and the 4 wheel drive stopped working. I replaced the actuator and checked wires and all was fine. The transfer case engaged and the drive shaft was spinning, but no front wheel movement.
Now today I heard some grinding coming from the front axle when I was driving to work (not in 4 wheel drive)
but it didn't last long. What could the problem be? Thanks.

Mechman

Re: 4x4 Not Working

Unread post by Mechman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm

If the drive shaft is turning but the wheels are not, then you have a front differntial internal problem. This would also explain the grinding.

pinky_109

Chevy Silverado Rear end gears question

Unread post by pinky_109 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 am

I currently have a rear gear ratio 342 in my silverado. I am looking at upgrading to a 410 as i want more response out of the truck. I was wondering if I need to change out the front end gear out as well.

2010 silverado
4.8 l 4x4

wildman

Re: Rear end gears

Unread post by wildman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 am

Only if you want to use the 4WD.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

protech

Re: 4x4 Not Working

Unread post by protech » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:09 pm

You can check the fluid in the front differential, and if there is none, or if it metal colored you know you have a problem internally. If you replaced the actuator, you could have mis-aligned it while reinstalling and that would cause grinding while it is trying to engage and no 4WD.

GDO

2003 Chevorlet Silverado 1500 LS 2WD QUESTION Rear Axle

Unread post by GDO » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Here is what happens when im driving down the road i hear this squeak squeak squeak squeak sound and im not pushing down on the brake neither the truck is not raddling like the bearing is bad or making that moning noise it just has a squeak that is not just one long squeak its one squeak and then 1 second later another squeak

HELP IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO ME OVER THE PHONE SO I CAN BETTER DESICRIBE THE NOISE SEND ME A EMAIL WITH YOUR NUMBER AND I WILL CONTACT YOU MY NAME IS GARRETT

ProTech

Re: 2003 Chevorlet Silverado 1500 LS 2WD QUESTION Rear Axle

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:04 pm

A couple things to check that normally make a squeaking noise back there...

First, check your U-joints! This is an extremely common part to fail that makes that type of noise as the driveshaft rotates. Be sure to check both on the rear driveshaft.

Second, it could possibly be the backing plate hitting one or both of the rear rotors. This is also a common thing, as they usually rust up and start to come apart and contact the rotor in places.

If neither of those are it, you'd really have to get someone to help listen in the area the noise is coming from while you drive it slowly to make the noise happen.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+