02 silverado service engine light- runs rough cold

Jhjohns75

02 silverado service engine light- runs rough cold

Unread post by Jhjohns75 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm

2002 silverado only when its cold outside runs rough when I first start it serv engine soon light stays on until it warms up outside only happens when it's cold outside

ProTech

Re: 02 silverado service engine light- runs rough cold

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:03 pm

This is a very common problem on the Silverado's and pretty easily repairable. What you have going wrong is a slight vacuum leak at the intake gasket during a cold start-up. Obviously, when it's colder outside, or on a cold start up, gaskets and seals are constricted and will allow air to get past them and cause a vacuum leak since they are not sealing all the way around the intake port. After the truck is warmed up, the problem goes away since the gaskets are now sealing properly.

You just need to install a new set of intake gaskets to fix your problem. Replacing the intake gaskets on the Silverado is a fairly easy repair. There is no oil or coolant that goes through the plastic intake, so it is not that bad to remove. You can leave the fuel rail attached as well, just disconnect the fuel line. Everything is pretty straight-forward to change the gaskets, and then your issue will be solved!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Jhjohns75

Unread post by Jhjohns75 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks for your help that explains why it in general runs and drives better in warm weather it seems to have less power in cold weather, I'm also having problems with the hoses from an after market trans cooler leaking when it's cold as well. I will try your recommendations. Bought it 3 months ago don't knows its history ,but it's been a great truck .140,000 miles and I drive around 5,000 miles a month on top of that. its held up great can't complain this is my first chevy truck iv always wanted one look for a tip Tommarro thanks!!! Btw if I don't plan to tow will it hurt to remove that after market tranny cooler it's been a pain in my butt!!!

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Thank you as well, and absolutely you can remove the aftermarket transmission cooler if you don't plan on doing any heavy duty activities like towing. Should be easy to remove, and if all else fails, you can just run the hoses together to bypass the cooler.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Jhjohns75

Unread post by Jhjohns75 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Ok I might do that it leaks like a siff, and its defentely worst when it's cold. Iv tightened all the hoses and one had almost slipped off, that helped a lot, but it still somewhat leakes.its 10 years old and I drive the snot out of it I live in west tenn but my kids live in Florida, I'm scared il blow the trans up not paying attention driving it back and forth so often.but other than that it doesn't even leak oil its been a champ lol thanks for your help