All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

Problem with my 2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8
Scan tool wont read
New tires no engine work
Tried disconnecting battery.
My 2004 chevy Silverado 5.3 v8 starts and immediatly stalls. When given gas
does'nt even turn over. Radio wont work but all dash lights work. Diagnostic tool wont
read anything. But truck reads unknown driver. Tried disconnecting battery did nothing.
Please help. i wish i could donate but i just spent my last 11 dollars on gas so i could
get friend with broken truck to work. i hope this info is detailed enough cuz its all the
info he gave me.

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

All these things may be related, or not. Be sure to check that the battery cable are tight.
For the scan tool not powering up, check the cigar lighter fuse. Is either in the
underhood fuse block, or the drivers side dash fuse block. This fuse powers the
diagnostic connector under the dash.
In fact, be sure to check all fuses.
Starting then stalling could be a security system problem. The security / theft light would
come on the dash after trying to start then stall.
Fuel pressure is another thing to check.
As you can see, requires some diagnostics of these different systems to see if all
related or not.

Had the same thing on my 2001 Silverado. Turns out to be a very easy fix. Mine also stalled when I had the A/C on. Turns out that the problem was carbon buildup in the throttle body. Although mechanic need to do was spray some cleaner in the throttle and the throttle blade, then take it for a nice drive to blow it all out. I guess that reset the idle. He told me that this would not set a code computer so when he scanned it there was none. Runs great now and idles perfect even when the air-conditioning is on high.

contributions: 20
Yes, carbon in the throttle body is a common problem with stalling when coming to a stop or with the A/C on and turning in parking lots, but not usually a start and stall. Check the fuel pressure.

With the radio not working and the stalling, if the fuses are all good, you might have a bad ignition switch. Try wiggling it or even tapping on it. See if that will cuase it to die or make the interior lights blink. If so, replace the ign ition switch.

contributions: 1
I read your post and it stirred up bad memories of my 2004 Avalanche. I was driving on the highway and 'Reduced Engine Power' (which is an understatement if ever there was one) came up on the DIC display. I limped my truck home, turned it off and waited a few minutes, then it started and ran fine. Over the next few weeks, it would change from 'Driver 1' to 'Unknown Driver' to 'Driver 2' (changing the seat position, the pedals, the radio presets, and the climate control settings each time) WHILE I WAS DRIVING. To make a long story short, my truck had a bad Delco battery, which leaked acid into the battery tray, and eventually onto the PCM which lives underneath. Acid ate pins off the pcm, destroyed both connectors and left my truck as brain-dead as a floating tuna. I hope your pcm is further back, but take five minutes to make sure. I would hate to see this happen to anybody else out there, but I'm sure it has. Good luck.

Ask A Question Reply