dash gages / digital information center not working

ChuckD

1998 Tahoe AC

Unread post by ChuckD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 pm

My 1998 Tahoe AC system is confusing to me. It appears to have one compressor
and a separate front and rear condensing unit. The rear AC is ice cold but the
front AC is nearer ambient temp. The condensing units both front and rear
produce a large amount of condensation. I'm guessing the front AC may be
allowing outside air in the unit when it should be recirculating. Maybe a damper
stuck or not functioning? Does anyone know where I could find a schematic of the
system? Any other suggestions on what it might be, or if I may be way off on my
thoughts?

Thanks, ChuckD

MeccBoy

Re: 1998 Tahoe AC

Unread post by MeccBoy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 am

Hey Chuck.
Yes, the truck has one compressor on the engine. It has two evaporators. One for the front, one for the rear. If the rear is cold, and the front is warm, the freon charge is good. Sounds like you have a problem in the front temperature door. The door has an electic actuator motor to contol the door to output warm or cold air- evaporator or heater core. If this motor failed, then the temp of the front air would always be warm or cold, depending on what position it was at when it failed. This is a pretty common problem.

ChuckD

Unread post by ChuckD » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:44 am

Meccboy, What should I look for in trying to locate this electrical actuated door? Is it easy to spot?

ChuckD

Unread post by ChuckD » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks Meccboy, I located the actuator just above and to the right of the gas pedal. It appeared to function fine so I traced out the heater hoses and found a vacuum hose split going to a inline valve on the heater hoses. Appears to have fixed it.
Chevy Silverado temperature actuator

romed

dash gages / digital information center not working

Unread post by romed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 pm

went to start my 03 tahoe, noticed the digital display not indicating the normal pattern. Turned the key motor started, non of the gages including the tach were working. Turned the key off and heard a clicking all gages were bouncing. Whats going on?

ProTech

Re: dash gages / digital information center not working

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Most likely your instrument cluster has shorted out. This is fairly common on the 2003-2004 GM trucks/utility vehicles. You might want to check with your local Chevrolet dealer to see if your Tahoe might be covered under a special policy to replace the cluster for free. Depending on the miles you have or the time frame for the special policy, you might not be covered or it may not even apply to your vehicle but it's worth checking out.

At any rate, special policy or not, if you do end up needing a new instrument cluster, you would have to get it through your local GM dealer. They would have to program it upon installation for it to work correctly and display the correct miles.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+