2007 Equinox parasitic electrical drain....

ednsandy

2007 Equinox parasitic electrical drain....

Unread post by ednsandy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:09 am

...battery slowly loses charge over a couple of days so I leave it on a trickle charger/BatteryMinder when in the garage. I have been told it might be the OnStar module but pulling the interior fuse block fuse for that didn't help. I do not use OnStar on this vehicle and someone suggested disconnecting the wiring at the module....but I don't know where that module is located on the vehicle. Any help?

Any other suggestions, other than hooking up a VOM and pulling each fuse in numerical order to trouble shoot this problem? I imagine I will put the VOM in series with the main power cable...any problems that doing so might cause?

carriedi

Re: 2007 Equinox parasitic electrical drain....

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:51 pm

the problem with using an amp gauge in line is that any current the car uses goes through the meter. what is the amp rating of your meter. you could blow the internal fuse if your amps go to high.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

equinoxdriver425

Unread post by equinoxdriver425 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:21 am

I too am having this same issue. The OB1 showed a bad squib sensor. Could this be slowly draining my battery? Alternator is good battery is good this is the only thing I can think of ..... Also my A/C and heat only flow through the defroster vents and just barely out of floor vents. Could any of these be causing the problem?

equinoxdriver425

Unread post by equinoxdriver425 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 am

I forgot to mention I was stuck with a dead battery the other night and I could hear something turning on and then off real quick.. Somewhere near the front end of my car almost like the stereo was shorting in and out every so often.... Going nuts and tired of never knowing if my car will start

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:32 am

if you can hear something clicking you will need to find out where the sound is coming from. It may be that the battery is so low that the BCM may be trying to turn something on but it draws more power than the battery has to hold it down. If you can listen to where the noise is coming from and use your hand to feel and pinpoint the item that is clicking you can then find out what circuit is making the noise. I wouldn't be able to tell you what thew sound could be over the internet without hearing and feeling it.

finding the draw will take some tools to measure the battery draw when the electrical systems are all at rest. Unless you can find something that is left on you will need to find out how much power is being drained and then go through the fuses to see what will make the drain go away. an amp meter in series or an inductive amp clamp would be used to measure the draw. You want the draw to be under 0.03 amps when all systems have gone to sleep. (it may take 30 min to 1 hour for all systems to completely turn off)
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.