Chevy Equinox 2007 power steering

needa23

Chevy Equinox temp gauge rising

Unread post by needa23 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I have a 2006 Equinox. Lately when i'm at a red light or drive thru my temp gauge rises to the red margin and the temperature light flashes ( this is only when the vehicle is sitting still ) as soon as i take off the gauge returns to normal. I'm not sure if i need to go to a dealer or if this is something minor, but for the mean time i have stopped driving the truck. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate them. Also the truck is not smoking or has any visible signs that its running hot, other than the temperature rising.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: temp gage rising

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon May 24, 2010 10:35 pm

If the temperature gauge goes up to the red and the Temp light comes on, then it IS overheating.
First, check the coolant level.
It may be low caused by a leaking water pump or hose. Would need a pressure test to find a leak. Many leaks do not show up on the ground, as the coolant burns off before it reaches the ground.
Another possibility- which is common on this 3.4L V6 engine is a leaking intake manifold gasket, or a head gasket. The rear cylinder head gasket is prone to leaking. It may be leaking externally, or internally- and you would not see it. Removing the spark plugs and looking for signs of burning coolant may be needed.
Also, bubbles in the radiator when it is idling is a sign of a bad headgasket. A bad head gasket causes combustion pressure to be pumped into the cooling system. This causes bubbles, air pockets, and overheating. You may also notice you do not have any heat from the heater when it is running hot. Then when you accelerate, the gauge goes down, and heat blow from the heater.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

rickey

Chevy Equinox 2007 power steering

Unread post by rickey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 am

where is the fuse location for power steeling and the #of the fuse?

ProTech

Re: Chevy Equinox 2007 power steering

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:36 pm

The fuse for the power steering is located in the underhood fuse block and is the large black mega fuse. I believe it is an 80 amp fuse and is held down by two 13mm nuts.

Very easy to replace and if you have no power steering, this is usually the cause.
Attachments
Chevy Equinox Power Steering Fuse.jpg
Chevy Equinox Power Steering Mega Fuse Location.
Chevy Equinox Power Steering Fuse.jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 13315 times
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+